What are you reading?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wondering what the like, 4 of yall that can read, are reading?

I'm about to finish up "To the Limit" and read "Chickenhawk" before that, kind of on a Vietnam helo pilot kick right now.

Like Military/Sci-Fi stuff myself.
Re-reading, again, John Ringo's Troy Rising series. First is Live Free or Die, second is Citadel, and third is The Hot Gate. Just got into number 3. Trying to stave off the DT's while waiting for the next Bob's Saucer Repair book from Jerry Boyd. I'm not an addict, I can quite any time! ;)

Bill

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The Rifle: Combat Stories from America's Last WWII Veterans, Told Through an M1 Garand

1648224577326.png

It began when Biggio bought a 1945 M1 Garand Rifle, the most common rifle used in WWII, to honor his great uncle, a U.S. Army soldier who died on the hills of the Italian countryside. When Biggio showed the gun to his neighbor, WWII veteran Corporal Joseph Drago, it unlocked memories Drago had kept unspoken for 50 years. On the spur of the moment, Biggio asked Drago to sign the rifle. Thus began this Marine’s mission to find as many WWII veterans as he could, get their signatures on the rifle, and document their stories.

For two years, Biggio traveled across the country to interview America’s last-living WWII veterans. Each time he put the M1 Garand Rifle in their hands, their eyes lit up with memories triggered by holding the weapon that had been with them every step of the war. With each visit and every story told to Biggio, the veterans signed their names to the rifle. 96 signatures now cover that rifle, each a reminder of the price of war and the courage of our soldiers

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished "Kilkenny" by Louis L'amour, and for the last week I've been getting through "The Great Reset" by Glenn Beck. Next up is Ubik by Philip K. Dick, a sci-fi book I got as a gift that looks interesting. Guess i'm all over the place - Western, modern politics, then sci-fi.

If you liked "Kilkenny," Louis L'Amour had two other books with Kilkenny as the main character. I'd have to do some research to discover again what those two were. I used to have about all of his books, but they got damaged when water leaked into the plastic tub where I had them stored.

EDIT: Just went to L'Amour's website. The other two are "The Mountain Valley War" and "The Rider of Lost Creek." There are also some short story collections that featured Kilkenny as a character.

Last edited:

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ocean Prey by John Sandford. My BIL got me started on the whole "Prey" series.
Prey series, and spin-off’s - Virgil Flowers, are all good quick reads. Started the Prey series on first release and always had next one on order for kindle. The “Death” series by jd Robb is always a good read, for me. Of course the Reacher series.. Not high intellect reading, but mind consuming and easy quick entertainment. I could go on.. but won’t. I know - thank God! 🤷‍♂️😉

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering what the like, 4 of yall that can read, are reading?

I'm about to finish up "To the Limit" and read "Chickenhawk" before that, kind of on a Vietnam helo pilot kick right now.

Like Military/Sci-Fi stuff myself.
Wait a minute, that is more than 4 people on here that can read. I feel intellectually deprived now. I thumbing thru the picture version of Carlos Hathcock White Feather for the second time after looking at many years ago.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait a minute, that is more than 4 people on here that can read. I feel intellectually deprived now. I thumbing thru the picture version of Carlos Hathcock White Feather for the second time after looking at many years ago.

I actually have a hardback of that, signed by Land and Hathcock. My lovely bride bought it for me in the late nineties or early 2000s. They sold signed copies to raise money for Hathcock's care due to his failing health.

Latest posts

Top Bottom