What brand of dog food do you feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Lawrence

Marksman
Reaction score
We've been using Natural Balance sweet potato and venison for a few years now. We have two little dogs (poodle mixes) who've been plagued with 'eye boogers' since day 1. Once we switched to the Natural Balance, eye boogers went away almost overnight. In the last year or so though, they changed the formula to some shoddier ingredients and the food just isn't as good = bad color and doesn't taste the same.

Tip: We learned that you need to save the serial number printed on the bag since you can look them up online to find all sorts of good information: date of manufacture, recalls, etc.

I won't let my dogs eat anything until after I try it first. Anybody else?

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a dog, she eats whatever I give her...eventually.

Man, I think I need to get into the pet food business!

:withstupi

no kidding. it's crazy what some of that stuff costs.

i used to feed diamond, but now i feed "Enhance" ??? comes from the local feed mill, high protein, high fat, dogs do good on it.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A man yelled over to his neighbor: "Hey,man,what you feed your dog?"
The neighbor responds: "Why hell I feed him dogfood.What you feed yours?"
The man: "Turnip Greens"
The Neighbor: "Turnip Greens? Shite,my dog wouldnt eat turnip greens for a month if I feed him that"
The man: "Mine didnt either the first month"

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YUK... no thanks ...
prefer feeding my dogs human grade food if purchased commercially.
purchase chicken quarter by the case or on sale, comes out to 50-60cents lb.
butcher shops like Perry's will also sell raw scraps left overs for .50cent lb.
yes it is a bit more expensive vs premium dry dog food.. but not by much.

exception is Purina puppy chow mixed with canned dog food from Sams. for those few times I get caught short on raw chicken quarters. I see an immediate allergy reaction on my 90lb GSD where he starts to scratch himself raw.

my dogs LOVES wild game carcasses. got an outside freezer specifically for wild game. I process my own deer, nothing is wasted ... my dogs get all the scrap carcass pieces they can eat. rest gets frozen... 90lb GSD will bury extra food for later. my dogs don't get sick on partially rotted raw meat.

I won't let my dogs eat anything until after I try it first. Anybody else?

Norsican

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diamond Naturals. Lower cost premium food.

I have a Large breed (Mastiff) and she does very well on it.

I did some looking at foods awhile back and was surprised on the contents and their potential risks. Even the "good" (AKA: heavily marketted) brands like Science diet and IAMs can be a problem.

I'll post the list with the Disclaimer I AM NOT THE AUTHOR OR OWNER OF THIS LIST. If you want the link to the board, PM me. It is a Breed specific board but I think the information rings true.

How did I pick these? I used a couple of criteria:
1. Food contains NO corn and doesn’t contain a lot of grains in the top ingredients.
2. Company has disclosed where the food is manufactured.
3. Food contains a good amount of animal protein in the top ingredients (prefer a named meal as #1 or at least a named meat as #1 followed by a named meal in the top ingredients).
4. Food contains NO meat or poultry by-products.
5. Food contains NO synthetic Vitamin K.
6. Food has only named ingredients, especially in the fats and proteins.
7. Food contains NO gluten meals.
8. If food contains grains and vegetables, it’s whole grains and vegetables, not fragments.
9. Food contains NO artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. For instance, no BHA, BHT or Ethoxyquin.
10. Food contains NO added sweeteners.

THE MAIN FOOD LIST, W/GRAINS –
*4Health - from Tractor Supply Company (made by Diamond in Lathrop CA, Meta MO, and Gaston SC), www.tractorsupply.com
*Addiction Foods – Wild Kangaroo & Apples ONLY (made by Taplow Ventures, Vancouver BC; Pied Piper, Hamlin TX; and Texas Farm Products, Nacogdoches TX), www.addictionfoods.com NOTE - Calcium and Phosphorus too high for a pup. Wait until after 2 years old to use this food!
*American Natural Basic or Original (made by Fromm, Mequon WI), www.americannaturalpremium.com
*Annamaet Pet Foods - NEW (made by Ohio Pet, Lisbon OH), www.annamaet.com (Note that the Extra formula contains corn)
*Artemis Pet Foods Fresh Mix and Natural 6 Mix (made by Diamond, Lathrop CA), www.artemiscompany.com
*Bench & Field, Holistic Natural Canine (made by WellPet, Mishawaka IN), www.benchandfield.com
*Blue Seal Foods, By Nature and By Nature Organics (made in their own plant, Arcade NY and Chenango Valley Pet Foods, Sherburne NY), www.bynaturepetfoods.com
*Breeder’s Choice Pet Foods (made in their own plant, Irwindale CA), www.breeders-choice.com
*Burns Pet Health (made by CJ Foods, Bern KS), www.burnspethealth.com
*Canidae Corp. (made by Diamond Pet Foods, Lathrop CA, Meta MO and Gaston SC), www.canidae.com
*Canine Caviar Pet Foods (made by Ohio Pet Foods, Lisbon OH), www.caninecaviar.com
*Castor & Pollux Pet Works (made by CJ Foods, Bern KS and Crosswinds Petfoods Inc, Sabetha KS), www.castorpolluxpet.com
*Champion Pet Foods, Acana (made in their own plant, Alberta Canada), www.championpetfoods.com
*Della Natura Commodities, Wenaewe (made by Erro S.A., Dolores Uruguay), www.dellanaturapet.com
*Diamond Pet Products, Chicken Soup Formulas, Premium Edge and Diamond Naturals (made in their three facilities in Lathrop CA, Meta MO and Gaston SC), www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com , www.premiumedgepetfood.com and www.diamondpet.com
*Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance (made by CJ Foods, Bern KS and Diamond Pet Foods, Lathrop CA), www.naturalbalance.net
*Dogswell LLC (made by Tuffy’s Pet Foods, Perham MN), www.dogswell.com
*Dr. G’s Pet Food Company - NEW (made fresh each Thursday by Chenango Valley Pet Foods, Sherburne NY – you order the food online and it’s made on Thursday and shipped to you. It’s a very pricey food), www.drgsfreshpetfood.com
*Dr. Tim’s Pet Food – NEW (made by Ohio Pet Foods, Lisbon OH), www.drtims.com
*Earthborn Holistic - NEW (made in Earthborn’s own plant, Midwestern Pet Foods, Monmouth IL), www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com
*Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food Company, Evanger’s (made by Hi Tek Rations, Dublin GA and Mid America, Mt. Pleasant TX), www.evangersdogfood.com
*Firstmate Pet Foods (made in their own plant, Chilliwack BC Canada), www.firstmate.com
*Fromm Family Foods (made in their facility, Mequon WI), www.frommfamily.com
*Grandma Mae's Pet Foods (made by Chenango Valley Pet Foods, Sherberne NY), www.grandmamaes.com
*Horizon Complete (made in their own plant, Rosthern Saskatchewan Canada), www.horizonpetfood.com
*Kirklands (at Costco) (made by Diamond Pet Foods)
*Laughing Dog, Inc. (made by Taplow Foods, Chilliwack BC Canada), www.laughingdoginc.com
*Life4K9 Pet Food Corp. (made by Bio Biscuit, Saint-Hyacinthe Quebec Canada and Hampshire Pet Products, Joplin MO), www.life4k9.com
*Life’s Abundance (made by Ohio Pet Foods, Lisbon OH), www.lifesabundance.com
*Lotus Natural Food - NEW (made by Bio Biscuit, Montreal Canada), www.lotuspetfoods.com
*Merrick Pet Care (made in their own plant, Hereford TX), www.merrickpetcare.com
*Mulligan Stew Pet Food (made by Mountain Country Foods, Okeene OK), www.mulliganstewpetfood.com
*Natura Pet Products (see ON PROBATION FOODS!)
*Nature’s Select (made by Mid America, Mount Pleasant TX), www.naturesselectpetproducts.com
*Nature’s Variety (made by Pied Piper Mills, Hamlin TX), www.naturesvariety.com
*Natural Planet Organics by Nutrisource (made in their own manufacturing facility), www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/naturalplanetorganics/
*Natural Planet Pure Vita by Nutrisource (made in their own manufacturing facility), www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/purevita/
*NutriLife Pet Products (made by Fromm, Mequon WI), www.nutrilifepetfood.com
*Petcurean Pet Nutrition (made by Elmira Pet Products, Elmira Ontario Canada), www.petcurean.com
*Pet Valu, Peformatrin Ultra (made by Elmira Pet Products, Elmira Ontario Canada), www.performatrinultra.com
*Precise Pet Products (made in their own manufacturing facility - Texas Farm Products), www.precisepetfood.com
*SmartPak, LiveSmart (made by Chenango Valley Pet Foods, Sherburne NY), www.smartpakcanine.com
*Solid Gold Health Products (made by Diamond in Meta MO and Lathrop CA), www.solidgoldhealth.com
*Tuffy’s Pet Foods Inc, Natural Planet Organics, Nutrisource and Pure Vita (made in their own plant, Perham MN), www.nutrisourcedogfood.com
*VeRUS Pet Foods (made by Ohio Pet Foods, Lisbon OH), www.veruspetfoods.com
*Wellpet, Holistic Select and Wellness (made in their plant in Mishawaka IN; Hagen Pet Foods, Waverly NY; CJ Foods, Bern KS; American Nutrition, Ogden UT; and Diamond Pet Foods, Gaston SC and Lathrop CA), www.wellpet.com
*Whole Earth Farms (this is a Merrick brand and is made in their plant in Hereford TX), www.merrickpetcare.com/store/whole_earth_farms_dry.php
*Wysong Corporation (made in their facility, Lake Mills WI), www.wysong.net

Latest posts

Top Bottom