What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I hunt an archery only area and was planning on using my deer stand setups for hogs, after deer season. There's no limit or season on them, so if I use my bow, there's no issue, right? Nope. I was informed by a game warden friend that it's illegal to be on the WMA with ANY means of take, other than a CCL handgun, outside of deer season. So, by next deer season, at least 2, if not 3, litters will be had, causing the 14 hogs I know of to potentially blow up into a population of 96 hogs (14 hogs, - 3 known boars, assuming 6 of the remaining are sows, having only 2 litters at 8 hogs a piece and not accounting for those in new litters reaching maturity, having litters of their own) by deer season. The warden agrees it's stupid, but it's the WMA regulation...

So that wma is closed to coyote hunting with bow as well?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt an archery only area and was planning on using my deer stand setups for hogs, after deer season. There's no limit or season on them, so if I use my bow, there's no issue, right? Nope. I was informed by a game warden friend that it's illegal to be on the WMA with ANY means of take, other than a CCL handgun, outside of deer season. So, by next deer season, at least 2, if not 3, litters will be had, causing the 14 hogs I know of to potentially blow up into a population of 96 hogs (14 hogs, - 3 known boars, assuming 6 of the remaining are sows, having only 2 litters at 8 hogs a piece and not accounting for those in new litters reaching maturity, having litters of their own) by deer season. The warden agrees it's stupid, but it's the WMA regulation...

I forgot about that. Since I dont hunt public lands I forgot all about how stupid that is.

As far as the dep of ag rules go its mostly laws against the transportation of live and regulations on the facilities such as holding pens and hi fences. They made a terrible mistake with all that but theres nothing I can do about it.
It really chaps my ass that I am not even allowed to move a pig after I trap one. I have a trap in my back yard and if I caught one or two in it I cant even remove them from a trap and put them in a pen right next to it to keep until a day Im ready to do something with them. Such as process them. Or until a needy family can be located so I can kill it and take it to them. If I simply put it in anything other than the trap it was caught in it makes me a criminal. Now mind you this is on my own land.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here in Texas, it's all legal, and the hogs are flourishing. I keep a trap out on my place at all times, and it's way too slow. I caught 5 out of a group of 9 in December, and in my latest picture of the remnants, one of the sows has piglets (at least 5). I have another one out of that group in the trap right now and will go kill and clean it after church. With that sow's piglets, I'm not making headway on this group.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 133

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Texas Hog Hunters Association"..... say they don't think poison is the answer.

Groups like that are the problem, and they don't want there to ever be a "solution". THHA is just worried this poison will eliminate their fun.

I bet you won't hear farmer/rancher groups saying anything negative about a possible "cure" for the hog problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom