What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deprimed and cleaned the primer pockets of the 65 pieces of 7.62x54R fired at the match Saturday. Brushed the necks, then annealed the bunch.
Now to neck-size and prime, then it's ready to load.
View attachment 343997

I set the torch in a rifle rest - tied in, because I learned after the second round of chasing a flaming torch across a dark garage.

Aim the flame at the junction of the neck and shoulder.
In the foreground can be seen my phone, with a metronome app opened. 80 BPM, leave (this) brass in the flame for 7 beats. Just before it starts glowing.
Pull it out of the socket with my (gloved) left hand. Behind the drill is the (empty) container for the brass to be annealed. Grab one with my right hand, stick it in the socket. Rotate the drill into the flame.

Repeat.

It goes very quickly, 10+ per minute.
Really, it takes longer to set everything up than it does to do the actual work.

That being said, an Ugly Annealer - or something like it - is in my near future.
Can't really tell by pic, but are those just brass or nickel plated? Also is there a specific reason to cool at room temp vs quench with water? Haven't tried annealing yet since only started reloading during the wu flu period. Thx. Nice setup btw!

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't really tell by pic, but are those just brass or nickel plated? Also is there a specific reason to cool at room temp vs quench with water? Haven't tried annealing yet since only started reloading during the wu flu period. Thx. Nice setup btw!
Brass. I have never seen nickel 7.62x54r cases, but they may exist.

Brass is different from ferrous metals - brass hardens with working, for one.
For another, there is no metallurgical reason to quench brass in any liquid - the quench liquid does not change the properties of brass, as it does with ferrous metals.

Some folks do indeed quench brass, but I prefer to air cool. Liquid cooling does nothing to brass, except get it wet. Then I have to wait for it to dry.

Having said all that, there are as many ways to anneal cartridge brass as there are people doing it. Pick a method you like, and have at it !

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy used to shoot at Fouled Bore Precision in Ninnekah. I believe they have ranges out to 1700 or so.
It's on my Bucket List. I have a little work to do on my 6.5 and .308 fine tuning my loads and them I'll be ready to go there. Need to find a regular there and tag along so I don't look like a too much of a first timer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom