What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a Lee Factory Crimp die in 454 Casull. Put together some test rounds for plinking with my Freedom Arms M83 using 45 ACP type slugs…..200 gr LSWC and 230 gr plated ball. Found HS6 numbers in an old Hodgdon manual, and dropped it a bit-I thought the “starting” load might be a bit fast for the bullets-so starting at 16 grains. Hopefully I will be able to see how they run sooner rather than later 😉
AC103F50-19DD-4BB2-8D85-C59D7A530B4A.jpeg

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Darn those Bergers.
One thing hard to do because I am not used to doing it is make them jump a long ways to the lands.
I think berger states .040 to .130" jump.
I had some Bergers and at .060" they began to group tight. And a buddy told me to jump them .120"

It was against my religion to do so but that is what they wanted.

Yep.

I tried from .020 - .070 in .010 increments since these have the hybrid ogive.

Best group during the three-shot seating depth rough test was at .040 and was under a half inch. Everything else was hovering around 3/4". I knew that would open up once I started shooting five shot groups.

I have to figure out if it is the bullet, or powder that isn't jiving with this barrel.

^ So keeping in the spirit of this thread, I prepped another small batch of brass today to try a seating depth test with the 130gr ELD-M. Powder will continue to be H4350. Other than at one depth, I had SDs under 10 across the board with the H4350.

If it also tests like garbage, I'll switch powders and start over with the Bergers and ELDs.

Have Varget, N150 (proven in this gun), Re-15, and IMR-4350 on hand...so I'm expecting that something will stick eventually.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot those 73's at 200 or farther and see if they work well.
Good luck tomorrow if you go.
Ugh. My barrel didn't like these. Hell, my rifle didn't like this load either. 3 different feeding issues and bolt didn't lock back both times.

Seemed pretty weak? Velocity is up there some. I don't even know what to do. Scratching my head with these.

signal-2023-02-19-16-35-15-586.jpg

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep.

I tried from .020 - .070 in .010 increments since these have the hybrid ogive.

Best group during the three-shot seating depth rough test was at .040 and was under a half inch. Everything else was hovering around 3/4". I knew that would open up once I started shooting five shot groups.

I have to figure out if it is the bullet, or powder that isn't jiving with this barrel.

^ So keeping in the spirit of this thread, I prepped another small batch of brass today to try a seating depth test with the 130gr ELD-M. Powder will continue to be H4350. Other than at one depth, I had SDs under 10 across the board with the H4350.

If it also tests like garbage, I'll switch powders and start over with the Bergers and ELDs.

Have Varget, N150 (proven in this gun), Re-15, and IMR-4350 on hand...so I'm expecting that something will stick eventually.
I’ve never jumped a Berger bullet in my rifle with a Bartlein barrel or my sons savage with an oem barrel. Be it VLD match/target/hunting or hybrids in 180, 168, and 140 grain. The most accurate in my sons 260 has been the 140 hybrid and it’s loaded to a light jam.

I know the hybrid was created so you could jump them in factory barrels but for me in both our barrels they shoot better jammed than jumping. So you might work up a few that are slightly jammed and see how they shoot. That is, as long as they fit the mag

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never jumped a Berger bullet in my rifle with a Bartlein barrel or my sons savage with an oem barrel. Be it VLD match/target/hunting or hybrids in 180, 168, and 140 grain. The most accurate in my sons 260 has been the 140 hybrid and it’s loaded to a light jam.

I know the hybrid was created so you could jump them in factory barrels but for me in both our barrels they shoot better jammed than jumping. So you might work up a few that are slightly jammed and see how they shoot. That is, as long as they fit the mag
I got better results (1.9 SD lowest in my life) with a 140 Grain VLD Target about .010" from jam. Wouldn't fit in the mag though.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loaded some 44 special today. According to the dates on the ammo boxes of the last 44 I loaded it’s been 10 years. I loaded some 200 grain rnfp coated lead bullets on 6 grains of red dot. Just loaded a dozen to test tomorrow. I’ve got enough experience with a very similar load so I could’ve just rocked on but I figured I’d check just to make sure. If these work like I think they should I’ll load another 488 of em and that’ll maybe get me another 10 years of 44spl. I dunno though since I own a lever gun in 44 now I bet my consumption rate drastically increases. Armadillos gonna play hell running with these in their gut.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaded some 200 grain rnfp coated lead bullets on 6 grains of red dot
I loaded up a few hundred with 5.5gr Promo (the fraternal twin to RedDot). When I finish shooting them up I'm going to drop to a 5gr load.

The same bullet, a Lee 200gr RNFP. Just for casual shooting.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prepped the last 50 virgin cases of Lapua brass for my 2nd 6.5x47.

Going to try to get a hunting/pest control load together with the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I had decent results on average-sized hogs with this bullet, and the couple times I popped a coyote - it performed flawlessly (6.5 Grendel then).

While the powder isn't very temp stable, I'll be using N150, which is proven in this rifle with the 120gr Scenar-L.

Latest posts

Top Bottom