What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got tired of it peening the mouth of my cases, but the cases are cleaner than virgin, went back to cob only after sizing for 30min. If I could get away from any lube I don’t think I would clean at all.
It's not necessary to clean off the lube. I've reloaded some rifle rounds 15 times or more without cleaning at all. I wipe off the brass after firing; that's it, and usually just the neck gets wiped off.
Then reload as usual.
That bit of sizing lube doesn't cause problems.
I acquired a brass tumbler with pins on a deal I did a few years ago, but in 20+ years of reloading, I’ve never cleaned a case. I’m not concerned with cosmetics, and it’s never effected accuracy. :anyone:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I acquired a brass tumbler with pins on a deal I did a few years ago, but in 20+ years of reloading, I’ve never cleaned a case. I’m not concerned with cosmetics, and it’s never effected accuracy. :anyone:
I started reloading around 1986 or so. I reloaded for 20 years or more without any sort of tumbler - wet, dry, anything. When I started reloading, most people didn't have a tumbler. I eventually acquired a vibratory tumbler in a 'lot purchase', maybe 10-12 years ago. I still have it, and do use it; especially for handgun brass.

I would wipe off any dirt, and occasionally wash the brass in hot water and soap, but that was it.

New reloaders don't seem to understand that folks were reloading metallic cartridges for 100 years before tumblers ever came out on the retail market.
There's been a huge amount of time and effort spent in what is probably the least important part of reloading: cleaning the empty case.

bas402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading around 1986 or so. I reloaded for 20 years or more without any sort of tumbler - wet, dry, anything. When I started reloading, most people didn't have a tumbler. I eventually acquired a vibratory tumbler in a 'lot purchase', maybe 10-12 years ago. I still have it, and do use it; especially for handgun brass.

I would wipe off any dirt, and occasionally wash the brass in hot water and soap, but that was it.

New reloaders don't seem to understand that folks were reloading metallic cartridges for 100 years before tumblers ever came out on the retail market.
There's been a huge amount of time and effort spent in what is probably the least important part of reloading: cleaning the empty case.
I agree with your assessment on brass cleaning to a point, if all I was doing is hunting, I probably wouldn’t even reload unless I was shooting a wildcat. If you are prepping 300+ cases for a match then I have a different outlook. It’s not that I get crazy like when I started but I do prep my match brass differently. It’s all personal preference IMO and what you have tested /proven to be of value in your process, that’s all that matters. Yes it can be a rabbit hole if you let it.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I clean all my brass not all of it will come out shiny and I don’t care if it does or not but it gets the inside clean without having to wait for it to dry from washing all the dirt out from where I picked it up a dirt pit
Tell the truth. You spend the extra time cleaning your brass to have an excuse to stay out in your reloading room and away from your wife.🤣

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put together some 223 rem loads.
5 shot groups
lapua brass with neck tension of .0005 and .0015
Berger 77grain OTM
24.6 grains of N140
bullet setting depth OAL 2.35
I didnt get ES and SD. Forgot to reset the chronograph. Going to try .002 neck tension next outing.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    978.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    902.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put together some 223 rem loads.
5 shot groups
lapua brass with neck tension of .005 and .015
Berger 77grain OTM
24.6 grains of N140
bullet setting depth OAL 2.35
I didnt get ES and SD. Forgot to reset the chronograph. Going to try .02 neck tension next outing.
I love the 77 grain in a 1-7. I've switch both my 18" and 16" barrels over to all 77 grain

Latest posts

Top Bottom