What effect has open carry had on a loved one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What effect has open carry had on a loved one? And will it change anything about your decision to open carry?

I ask this only because my nephew found out yesterday that the uncle he loves carries a gun. My sister had to tell him because we have talked about people OC. My nephew is autistic and the only people he has ever seen carrying were LEO. And she knew she had to tell him that he will see other people with guns . Well long story short he was scared of me yesterday hiding from me when he first saw me ( not hiding like running away but hiding under mom's arm ). My sister told him after he started the hiding that his uncle has carried a gun for almost a year and that I am not a bad guy. Well that must have helped because he went from hiding to giving me a big hug before he went home. To answer the second part of my question . Will it change my decision to open carry? No it will not and as I explained to my sister he will have to get used to the sight of people who open carry and by me open carrying it will hopefully make it easier for him to accept it.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No issues here. My family has been around it for a while. That said, my in-laws may be a different story. My mother-in-law wasn't too happy when she found out I was concealed carrying, and I can only imagine she won't be happy about me open carrying. My father-in-law will be in full support of me.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for my family it isn't a big thing.
I belong to a very gun friendly family on both sides.
Anyone who has married in knew what they were in for.

As for speicial needs folks I think the best way is to ease them into it.
They process differently than most people.
You might check with some of the public organizations on how to introduce new things to this group.

I have a sister who is MR and she's been around it her whole life and doesn't think anything about it.
She doesn't want to shoot or handle any, but it doesn't bother her to be around them.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for my family it isn't a big thing.
I belong to a very gun friendly family on both sides.
Anyone who has married in knew what they were in for.

As for special needs folks I think the best way is to ease them into it.
They process differently than most people.

You might check with some of the public organizations on how to introduce new things to this group.

I have a sister who is MR and she's been around it her whole life and doesn't think anything about it.
She doesn't want to shoot or handle any, but it doesn't bother her to be around them.
I agree with this. My sister I love her dearly but she should have been easing in for months. But she waited until yesterday to tell him.

jerbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My beautiful DIL is not to fond of me carrying (open or concealed) around her house. She says "why do you need a gun in here". I just carry it concealed and don't tell her :) Kind of like "Don't ask , Don't Tell".

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No issues here. My family has been around it for a while. That said, my in-laws may be a different story. My mother-in-law wasn't too happy when she found out I was concealed carrying, and I can only imagine she won't be happy about me open carrying. My father-in-law will be in full support of me.

Same issue here, are we married to the same woman?

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same issue here, are we married to the same woman?

If she's a crazy blonde, then could be. I say crazy because she married me. Now, don't get me wrong, my mother-in-law loves me (probably more than her daughter). She just has this perception that only thugs carry guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom