What gun and load are you guys using this dove season???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the serial number it was made in 1958. I picked it up at an estate auction a few years back. It has the extended forearm, checkering, and a vent rib modified (choke) barrel. All original except it looks like someone put a new butt stock on it at some point. Grain and finish is slightly different but correct for a model 12.I like the old classics but they are getting really hard to find at a reasonable price

I wonder what the New In the Box price was when they were sold? I'll bet it was a lot less than you paid.
Mine was given to me as a wall hanger, and I rebuilt it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wal Mart does stupid ****. If inventory isn't moving, they are sometimes told to mark it clearance and move it out. Doesn't matter if its deer season stuff that set idle from August and September (cause they get stuff in way early) they are told to much it clearance and get it gone. So now come November you can't an orange vest or something similar because it didn't sell and corporate said to get rid of it.

I went to OKC to find a good office chair for the man cave today, so I made the rounds of all the local Walmart's on my way for some .22. As I did, I noted that they all had federal 12 ga for $4.99. One had a clearance sign on it. Probably to make people think they got a bargain.
I also noted the bagged corn prices. My Walmart in Ponca has it for almost $8 a 40lb bag. The Walmarts in OKC had it from $5.50-$6 some thing. Every store different.
Sadly no .22 was found, but a great office chair was.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
I wonder what the New In the Box price was when they were sold? I'll bet it was a lot less than you paid.
Mine was given to me as a wall hanger, and I rebuilt it.

I was lucky, I think it was a closet queen (vs a safe queen as most folks back then didn't have safes) as it showed very little use. Bolt face was unmarked and pump slide arm had very little bluing wear. That auction was a one in ten million as there was only two others who even bid on the shotguns they were selling. I picked up my Remington sportsman 20 g and a 12 g Remington 1100 with an extra barrel at the same auction and felt like a thief as I paid so little for them. The 1100 is an early production model as it still had the steel o-ring. That item is locked away as they are really rare cause they were only used during the first two or three years of production. My boys drool every time they get into my gun cabinets.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be shooting a 16g Remington Model 11 my mother in law gave me earlier this year. The stock and barrel were pretty rough when I got it and the action was pretty stiff.

I cleaned it up, sanded and refinished the wood and blued the barrel and it turned out great! The inside of the gun looked new once it was cleaned up.

My wife and I took it and shot up a box of clay targets and it ran perfect. I couldn't miss with it. Can't wait for dove season!

If my wife goes I'll be shooting my
BPS 12g.

I picked up a bunch of cheap Remington 7.5 shot for both guns the other day too.

diyprepgirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using a Mossberg 930 12 gauge with Estate ammo. 2A Shooting Center has 7.5 and 8 shot Supersport Estate for $59.95 per flat. 918 933 4867

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not hunted Dove since I was a teen.
47 now .. maybe I need to get out the 12's and see if they fly the same.
If I go I will take my 1924 browning A5 and some winchester 7.5 shot

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These.....

Attachments

• DSC_4737.jpg
    DSC_4737.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_4721.jpg