What is the latest news on States with the Firearms Freedom Act?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Starting with the Montana Firearms Freedom Act, a number of states have now passed their own Firearms Freedom Act, based on Montana State law. Sen. Randy Brogdon got the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act to the Governor's desk with a huge majority of the houses, but Gov. Henry vetoed it. We need to get the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act back to Fallin's desk tomorrow.

The "Montana Firearms Freedom Act" essentially says the Commerce Clause does not apply to non-automatic or non-explosive firearms and ammunition for 1.5 inch caliber and under weapon systems carried and operated by one man, or any related accessories that are marked on a central part "Made in Montana" and exclusively used in the State of Montana. The Firearms Freedom Act assert State's Second, Ninth and Tenth Amendment rights quite nicely. The Montana Shooting Sports Association and others are the plaintiffs, suing Eric Holder and others over ATF response.

What's the latest news on Montana and all the other states that passed or are in process of their own Firearms Freedom Act?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
last I heard is the court threw out one of the cases, saying basically that the feds can regulate drugs made and used in state based on case law, so they can regulate anything. Don't remember where I read that so take it with a grain of salt. I think there's more at play here than the commerce clause.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But just becuase the state makes something legal, doesn't mean the Feds have too. Yes in states like Washington, California and Colorado weed is legal, but the DEA could close those shops if they want to. I bet they would do the same with the ATF.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the courts the feds don't have as much power as the county sheriff. Just need state and county authorities willing to stand up to the feds.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the courts the feds don't have as much power as the county sheriff. Just need state and county authorities willing to stand up to the feds.

Those days are long gone and they ain't coming back. The Federal government ensured that with the grants and other monetary items they hand out to all other levels of state, county and city governments.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. The bill above is just one example of states standing up to the feds. Another is the large number of states refusing to play along with Obamacare. I see the exact opposite happening. States are more willing to stand up to the federal government than ever before in our lifetimes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom