What is up with Tulsa Co Sheriff's Dept??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a student of one of my SDA classes go to the TCSO to do the paperwork for her CCW. TCSO gave her a form and told her to go to the Sand Springs PD for a background check. She informed them that she is not an SS resident, but lives in Tulsa Co. They told her if she has a SS address that she needed to go to the SSPD for her background check.

I have since learned that TCSO is doing this as a matter policy. I spoke with the SDA office at OSBI and they said "they can't tell the sheriff's office what to do".

I believe this practice is contrary to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act as the Act says the Sheriff in the applicant's county of residence does the background check. There is NOTHING in the SDA that allows the Sheriff to require county residents to go anywhere else for the background check. Not only that, but it is a real inconvenience for applicants to have to make a trip to TCSO, then back to the PD in the town of their address, then back to TCSO.

Does anyone have more info on this issue??? Any idea how long this has been going on??

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit: after re-reading, she lives outside the SS city limits, but her ID says Sand Springs?

It is very common for people who live outside the city limits to have a mailing address that includes the name of the nearest town. I have friends who live in both Tulsa and Osage Co. outside the city limits that have Sand Springs addresses.

It really doesn't matter what the address says, the Sheriff in the county of residence is suppose to do the background check, nothing in the law allows the Sheriff to "farm out" the background check to another agency.

Bill of Rights

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like they're assuming she lives in the city limits because of the address of record, and requiring the SS munipal check before they do their own. Am I wrong?

Sounds like TCSO is just not taking the time to verify jurisdiction.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No evidence to back this up but my gut tells me that either the TCSO Boss is trying to pass the cost of the background check on to other PD's or he's a closet anti who doesn't believe in citizen carry and is trying to make the process as difficult as possible.

Just sayin'...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No evidence to back this up but my gut tells me that either the TCSO Boss is trying to pass the cost of the background check on to other PD's or he's a closet anti who doesn't believe in citizen carry and is trying to make the process as difficult as possible.

Just sayin'...

Knowing the TCSO, it could possibly be theory 1, but no way it would be theory 2. They seem pretty pro-CCW from what I have seen.

To the OP, I would contact the OSBI again, and clarify how she is supposed to apply at the sheriff of her county of residence per the law, since the sheriff refused. Ask them to ensure that her application would be accepted as true and correct since she is not complying with the statute (as a result of the TCSO's policies).

If nothing else, maybe the OSA could help?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like they're assuming she lives in the city limits because of the address of record, and requiring the SS munipal check before they do their own. Am I wrong?

Sounds like TCSO is just not taking the time to verify jurisdiction.

There IS no issue of jurisdiction, the Oklahoma Self Defense Act specifically requires the Sheriff's Dept. to conduct the local background check and do the fingerprinting, for this, they are allowed to charge a fee of $25.

It doesn't matter whether she lives in Sand Springs or Tulsa or any other town within Tulsa Co., the Law says the Sheriff in the applicant's county of residence does the local SDA stuff.

There is nothing in the law that allows or requires any other agency to conduct the SDA background checks.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing the TCSO, it could possibly be theory 1, but no way it would be theory 2. They seem pretty pro-CCW from what I have seen.

To the OP, I would contact the OSBI again, and clarify how she is supposed to apply at the sheriff of her county of residence per the law, since the sheriff refused. Ask them to ensure that her application would be accepted as true and correct since she is not complying with the statute (as a result of the TCSO's policies).

If nothing else, maybe the OSA could help?

The Sheriff's office required her to take a form to another agency, in this case the SSPD, and have them run the background check. After having the SSPD fill out the form, she returned to TCSO and finished submitting the application.

I spoke to another SDA instructor at the Tulsa gunshow Saturday and he said that this has been going on for some time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom