What is your favorite string trimmer line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys need some new trimmer line. I have tried all different types the last one I bought was Husky Titantium that the neighbor lent me a piece when the Still stuff I had ran out. I liked it at first but I have so much curb now it can't handle it. I prefer round as the stuff with sharp edges always seems to bite itself in the head. I don't care how much it costs. I would like to be able to do some edging down my curbs without having to fill the head every other time I use the thing. so I don't have to dag out the walk behind edger all the time.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a small electric trimmer, and I plan to install a circular saw coarse-toothed/crosscut blade on it backwards (a smooth non-carbide tipped one). Running it backwards should keep it from catching on stuff, yet still cut grass & weeds.

I may or may not sharpen the bottom of the leading edges, depends on how well it works (it may be somewhat self-sharpening on sidewalks anyway). I replaced the factory string cutter with a home-made removable one years ago, so I'll just take it off completely.

About string... FWIW, we ran larger size string than came with the trimmer, just had to drill out the hole it feeds through. Wasn't ideal, but it lasted a lot longer than the tiny stuff.

Just a couple thoughts.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last line I got was Husqvarna Titanium Force .095" from Lowes also.
It works very well.
I have tried all kinds of lines even electrical cord and saw blades.
My trimmer head is the type you push the string into a hole and it holds it each string is cut to 12" or so.

I like it much better than the auto feed types.

Something that makes the string last much longer is to use only enough RPM to cut the grass or weeds.
Any more RPM and you just eat through string.
Very seldom do you really need full throttle on a trimmer.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually use one of these:

711Xu23hfRL._AC._SR360,460.jpg

It cuts the grass and a nice edge into the dirt better than any string trimmer. A fair bit of work though. Granted, I'm doing probably.... 200' of curb, driveway, and sidewalk edging so I can get away with it. I've gotten 2 years out of it so far. Can probably get a third before it's worn too thin to be effective.

I have a 18v Ryobi line trimmer my son is using to help. We use the Ryobi pre-loaded 0.065" line cartridges for it. 'Cause I hate winding the damn things and them jamming up. As others mentioned, I haven't noticed a major difference in line across brands in the same size (.065, .080, or .095 in my past equipment).

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the looks of that tool.
I was wacking weeds under my boat with some sort of floor scraper looks like your tool but straight edge and no T handle.
I am going to try it on the curb ! Thanks Cards81fan

Latest posts

Top Bottom