What Is Your Longest Solo Road Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubinmypocket

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Back in my Iron Butt motorcycling days my longest road trip was OKC to just the other side of Boise ID. 1522 miles in 23 hours. Had several other long rides and rode over 100k between April 2011 to 2016. Never been that far in a car in one day. Denver was about the furthest for that.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got one (or call it two) within the next few months. At some point next month, we head out to do our Summer job in Oregon and will need to drive from the Tulsa area to Salem, OR to start with to certify the work van with Oregon's DOT. That is around 2000 miles, and after we finish the work up there, we will be driving back, and it will be the same distance because we have to certify again in Salem when we finish our work. (Just for giggles, the work up there will involve roughly 5800 miles to be "surveyed.")

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long trip to Portland when my uncle was sick in the VA hospital there.
Got home about 4:30 PM from work and wife told me he was dying so I grabbed some clothes and toothbrush and toothpaste and headed out with a paper map in my hand.
I made close to the border of Idaho and Oregon before I had to pull off the side of the road for a 2 hour power nap.

I did not know the shortest path and that was right at 1900 miles.
When I arrived in the VA I done some math. 31 hours point A-B and averaged 75 MPH that includes the 2 hour sleep time and the quick stops for gas.
That poor Corolla would only go 115 MPH.
A little over 2300 miles.
Do not want to do that ever again.
Only 6 or 7 stops for fuel though and all were less than 10 minutes.

That uncle raced NASCAR and we loved seeing how far we could go and what average MPH we could get.

MY best MPH average was to my cousins place in Weleetka from Yukon at 115 miles.
I made it in 45 minutes.

Do that math.
1985 V65 Magna slightly tweaked on :)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the summer of 2012, Mrs GED's best friend's daughter was getting married, in Las Cruces, New Mexico of all places.

Mrs GED had rode there with her friend and family on the Thursday before and I drove out Friday evening around 8ish (I had to work) to join them.

I stopped in Amarillo to fill up with gas and I decided to just grab a sandwich and a beer there at the place I was filling up at, and grab a room for the night.

I filled my tank, went inside, grabbed a sandwich, a tall boy Bud and approached the check out. The clerk picked up the beer and put it behind the counter and said, "sorry, but it's after midnight and I can't sell you this."

Shocked, I asked why. He said no beer sales after midnight. I replied, "but this is Texas?" He kinda chuckled and said, "yeah, you're right, but there are still no beer sales after midnight in Texas."

It pissed me off so bad, I left, drove on to Tucumcari, New Mexico, found an IHOP, ate there and then found a hotel. The next morning, I continued on, non stop to Las Cruces. Helluva long drive!

I haven't been back to Amarillo since. :pissed:

Latest posts

Top Bottom