What Is Your Longest Solo Road Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Piedmont OK to Kearney Nebraska, in high school. To see a girl of course.
Ah Kearney, my brother lived there for a minute. I-80, the first interstate built in America. Theres a cool arch over it now with a museum all about I-80s birth and finish. It was built along the Platte river. And along the first Rail line in America.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought our Goldwing new in 2007. For several years we took a 3-week vacation on it most were 3K+ mile trips. California twice, Canada, Key West etc. usually limiting daily mileage to 300 miles or less. Almost never on Interstates. However when coming home from our last trip to Southern California we stopped for the night on the west side of Albuquerque. Next day’s target was to stop around Sayre. Once we got to Okla I just couldn’t stop and ended up at home east side of OKC. our personal 1-day record @ 600 miles, 2-up pulling a trailer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread got me interested in the long hauls people have done over the years. A lot of older couples (retired) really put on some miles! It's sad when the old guy is gone, but the widows often keep the spirit of the road alive, pretty impressive. Google "mature woman solo" and you'll see some fascinating stories.
We’ve ran on to lots of single RV’rs over the years.
Men and women. The nomad lifestyle gets in your blood.
The last place we stayed this winter, had a widow woman in an RV kind of take over the clubhouse activities as something to do. Park management was all over it.

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Salinas CA to Chicago, then back to Modesto CA in 4 1/2 days. Right around 4500 miles..... Wow was I tired when I finished that loop. No, not one of my brighter moments. But, I was 27 and was proving myself to the old timers. I would NOT suggest even half that trip in the same time frame...... no enjoyment in it. But, that pink elephant on the purple unicycle never got past me

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never been that far in a car in one day.

Yes. We found we could travel further and less exhausted on the motorcycle than in a car/truck. I attribute that to being engaged with the ride more than a boring vehicle trip.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Piedmont to Anchorage. 6 days, 4473 miles with side trips to Hyder and Skagway. I’ve done this as a round trip 20 times over the years. I usually take the Cassiar Hwy instead of the Alcan except in the gut of winter. Most of the time I make it an 8 day trip but 6 is my fastest by myself.

snubinmypocket

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Never been that far in a car in one day.

Yes. We found we could travel further and less exhausted on the motorcycle than in a car/truck. I attribute that to being engaged with the ride more than a boring vehicle trip.
Me too. I think it also has something to do with the fresh air you’re getting. I never got sleepy on long bike rides. Rode an endurance rally one time for 36 hours and only took a short nap on a picnic table. Had some great times on Iron Butt Association rides and rallies. I joke I’ve been to some of the most scenic places in America, for about 5 minutes each. Pull up, do whatever was required at that bonus stop, and on to the next one. Kind of like a scavenger hunt on 2 wheels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom