What kind of gun safe do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Hayes

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked for 3 yrs until I found what I wanted. It came in the form of a used Meilink vault.
69"H X 40"W X 30"D. Thing is big and weighs in at 1975 pounds (according to the crane scale).
Paid $700 and couldn't be happier.
Shop used.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this thread is 10+ years old but have a question about the Bear safes. How exactly does the locking mechanism work? THe Bear website doesn'thave any explanation of the locking system or how it works. I guess that understandable but looks like two encased padlocks with big pin rather than a horseshoe type padlock? Between their two padlock system and the external weld on hinges are they as secure as other brands with locking lugs or Liberty's new plate/flat bar locking lugs?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 ^^^^
And whatever you do, DON"T get one with a digital lock, They are cool looking and easy to open until they fail (and it will eventually) then you will be drilling it open, And it will happen just as you are leaving on a hunting trip or while someone is attempting to kick your door in!!!!
Mine have back-up keys in case the electronic combination fails. I do have a manual though.

As has been stated above, buy bigger than you think you need. If a safe says it can handle 60 long guns, it probably will if everyone is an identical lever gun. Start putting in bolt guns with scopes, etc and a 60 gun safe will probably hold 30 or less in reality.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this thread is 10+ years old but have a question about the Bear safes. How exactly does the locking mechanism work? THe Bear website doesn'thave any explanation of the locking system or how it works. I guess that understandable but looks like two encased padlocks with big pin rather than a horseshoe type padlock? Between their two padlock system and the external weld on hinges are they as secure as other brands with locking lugs or Liberty's new plate/flat bar locking lugs?
From what I remember of the ones I've seen, they had a deadbolt inset into the door, in a pocket. Iirc you put the key in pointed towards the ceiling and it ran a deadbolt thru a piece of steel

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked for 3 yrs until I found what I wanted. It came in the form of a used Meilink vault.
69"H X 40"W X 30"D. Thing is big and weighs in at 1975 pounds (according to the crane scale).
Paid $700 and couldn't be happier.
Shop used.
I bet that was a batch to move in. My Steelwater weighed 1300# and took 3 big guys with an extra large dolly to move it.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rhino - Has a better Paint Job than my car. Mechanical Lock. Quality product and could not recommend highly enough. Still looks good last time I scuba dived. Darn boating accident.

Latest posts

Top Bottom