What to do in New Mexico in Jan/Feb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with the Sandia Peak recommendations & would add Petroglyph National Monument, assuming the weather is cooperative. Make sure your visit includes a green chile cheeseburger - I recommend Blake's Lot-A-Burger. If you don't mind the drive to Los Alamos, the Manhattan Project history museum is interesting and includes some children's areas: https://www.lanl.gov/museum/

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sandia Peak
Santa Fe
Ride in a hot air balloon
Bandelier National Monument (hiking)
Breaking Bad Tour. Really great for 5 year olds who ask too many questions

The tram ride up to Sandia Peak is awesome. Supposedly the longest tramway in the world. Go at a time to catch the sunset over about 20 miles of desert. A great view and a fun ride up and back. Good food at the Mexican Restaurant at the tram's base. In Albuquerque, go to Duran's Pharmacy, a favorite of many locals, and eat Red/Green Enchiladas (I like it "Christmas style", 1 of each... or 2 or 3 of each as appropriate) at the diner in back by the drug counter. Avoid El Pinto, (a cool atmosphere but lousy food) but both Gardunos and Monroe's are good eats for New Mexican Style Chow. Monroe's had some killer hot sauce that about ate the lining off my intestines I think but it sure was good ...going in anyway. Wife and I both liked Old Town. She spent a bunch of money there on jewelry, but it was good stuff and a lot less than you'd pay for similar items here. I like the ice cream shop in Old Town a lot. If you are at all into Mexican Pottery, it's the real colorful stuff called "Talavera", the selection and prices at the shops near Old Town is excellent and about 1/4 the prices you'll find locally. Here's a pic of a sink ( and a few other Talavera Pieces) my wife had to have; it caused me to remodel a whole bathroom around it. The sink was only like $100, but the subsequent remodel got up in the couple of $1,000's ...damn that sink.
0c27ef72ba951ec4d413cb7d36b794fa.jpg
efe77927210e0297c43affe3198d7769.jpg
f58d0b438b35660282b075efac9671da.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What to do in ABQ? Watch the dirt grow. Lived there a year, was amazed how much effort is required to maintain a lawn.

But I second the Sandia tram, or driving up the back side. The Crest was my fave place in the whole city, especially at sunrise when it’s quiet and hardly anyone else is around.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sante Fe here also. The Tram was closed this spring because of renovation of the restaurant. We drove up the back side like Perplexed suggested and it was just as good a view. In January or February, I doubt this would be possible though. We had heavy snow in May at the peak about the time we got to the top. There is a guest area open in the summer, probably not winter and the tower of steel or what ever they call that antenna array had me wondering about RF burns being in close proximity. (not really)

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Albuquerque and there isn’t a whole lot of tourist things to do besides what has been mentioned during that time of year. If you are up for a drive there is Carlsbad caverns. Also there is a big antenna array south of Albuquerque around the Socorro area that is cool to see. When driving through santa rosa, there is the blue hole which is interesting. It is more fun in the summer when you can swim in it. The water stays in the low 60s year round. I think there is a dinosaur museum in tucumcari which is on the way. There are a couple cultural museums and if I remember correctly a natural history museum. Garcias and ortegas has excellent green chile chicken enchiladas. Blakes has some good burgers especially with green chile. The owl bar and cafe has good burgers too. For breakfast, juevos rancheros smothered in green chile is awesome. Also golden pride makes excellent breakfast burritos for a quick breakfast. Pasole or menudo is good also. Take a gun with you and park in well lit areas. Crime has gotten out of control there. It seems like once or twice a month i see facebook posts from old friends about cars being stolen. What part of Abq. Are you staying in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom