What Was Your College Job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked midnight to 8:30am as a janitor, cleaning/waxing floors at grocery stores and also sold plasma twice a week. Selling plasma wasn't work but it paid $20 and those nurses sure were cute

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked at a lumber yard as loader, driver, fork lift, sales and eventually purchasing. I also worked at a Hallmark store. The lumberyard was closed on Sundays and the Hallmark store was open.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sold shoes, busted tires & ran the register at Walmart, waited tables, worked as an RA & a security guard at the college and worked some graveyard shifts at a convenience store . Almost all those jobs ran concurrently with me being employed as a bank teller.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Security Guard. We got an extra nickle an hour if we were armed!! yahoo.

Dishwasher, Busboy, waiter then bartender.

Drove rental cars for Hertz

Figured out what no one else (at the time) did, that the school lost and found auction once a semester had alot of lost text books for current courses. And the bookstore bought them back at between 33% and 50%. No one could understand why I would buy 10 copies of Organic Chemistry!!! Not alot of money, but paid for my beer which in those days was a bunch.

After college, bartender, cocktail waiter (long story), busboy, library assistant, night "manager" of the dorm, "security" for the dorm, beertender, manwhore (wanted to see who was paying attention).

Dave

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked at Home Depot, I wouldn't recommend working there unless you want to do everyone's job for them at work, lot's of lazy employees. Also worked for AT&T as a sales rep in a retail store. Easy job, meet new people all the time, lot's of hot girls coming in for cell phones they dropped in the toilet, dropped in the pool, on the ground or just flat out lost it. You have access to a lot of cool new technology. Free company cell phone and unlimited everything plan. Pays decent for a college kid and for what you actually do.

If I could do it all over again, instead of looking for just any job I should of been more concerned about networking. What you will realize once you get out of school is it's not about how much you know, it's about who you know. You could apply for a job and you might have a 4.0 GPA and be in every extra activity on campus you could possibly be in while in school, but Joe Smith knows someone already working there or has connections with someone higher up. Well the job is going to Joe Smith no matter what your GPA was in school. Network as much as you can and make as many contacts as you can. I got some pretty good job offers while working at AT&T just basically networking while working there. I wasn't in a Fraternity and thought most of them were douche bags, but if I could do it all over again I would of joined one for the simple fact of connections.

You can do whatever you want on your own, but it helps if you have someone helping you or giving you a start.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During school taught martial arts while at Univ. of Tulsa...summertime I swung a hammer framing houses. Last semester of college made the mistake of getting into the oil & gas business. Been here 36 years now.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Busted tires at walmart along with stockin grocerys. Farm work back home on the weekends, hauled butt back home on friday and would work 30-36 hours in a weekend working ground or runnin combine or mechanicing. Worked on peoples cars and bikes on campus a few times. Was known to do some writing for people. Drove exchange students and those with out vehicles different places, campus to walmart or campus (okmulgee) to places like tulsa or OKC even a few times. Gas+my time i did ok and i liked a reason to get out of town a bit. Also being one of the few on campus with a 4wd and a brain paid off too. Pulled lot of people out of the mud at local wheelin spots.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone remember Johnson's Milk Mini Marts in Lawton? 6 nights a week. For those that don't remember, they had 4 drive through curb service stores, and two walk in stores. I worked a different store each night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom