What would it take?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The RCBS Rockchucker Master Reloading Kit will give you everything you need to get started except for dies.....I started with the kit in the late 80's and have never used anything else.

I only checked a couple of places but here's an idea of what they sell for, Amazon $299.24 shipped.......Midway $289.99 + shipping.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As we all love pictures to prove our stories.
Here are 2 groups I made with my .308 During my brass fail test .. where i shot 4 different brands of .308 brass until they failed.
The picture with many holes Look at the center 4 holes..3 all touching and one up higher..
These loads the powder was not weighed I filled a pinched 454 casull case with varget and that was my measure.

These were loaded with Lee dies On a Lee 4 hole Turret press. Shot different days.

test308 001.jpgshot #34 .308 fail test 001.JPG

I really feel nothing wrong with that Turret press either..I used it in manual mode.
Just thingk what the groups would look like if the powder was weighed and the brass was all the same head stamp and was trimmed to the same length. etc etc.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Lee Challenger Kit from Bass Pro two years ago. It was inexpensive and had virtually everything I needed to start loading for my pistols, 9mm and .45 auto. If I remember correctly I had to buy shell holders to be able to start loading. That said, I've loaded 9mm, .45 auto, .223, 7mm Mag and .357 so far.
Of course it's a single stage, it's slow and tedious but for me it's relaxing to take my time and just work the system.
I think it was right at $200 for the equipment, add in powders at $25 (average) a pound, primers $3 a hundred and bullets..... you can save money on loading but in the long run you will load MORE ammo than you used to shoot.
I'm happy with my set up at the moment, but there is always something else you want to put on the loading bench.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought it would be. How does that work?

Might be easiest to look at the manual for what is probably the most popular shotshell press on the market, the MEC 600jr: https://www.mecshootingsports.com/images/document/600jr.pdf

Pages 6 to 8 talk about the individual steps necessary to reload a shotshell, with some background material immediately before.

While I do enjoy reloading shotshells (and metallic reloading too), I'm forced to concede that economically it's almost not worth it to reload 12 ga unless you're doing some kind of exotic loading. The savings do add up with less popular shell sizes, .410 being a perfect example.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For handguns, I would recommend the Lee Turret if you're not going to be shooting a ton. Handgun ammo gets VERY old to load on a single stage. The Lee Turret can crank out 150-200 in an hour once you've got everything ready.

Most any press will load pistol rounds - in fact I can't think of any that will not - especially straight wall rounds like .38/.357 and 9mm. Very few are pistol only (Dillon Square Deal B or SDB being the primary one). The vast majority will load anything short of the super long magnum rounds or .50 BMG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom