When do you sight in your muzzleloader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you sight it in?

• Total voters

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought a new muzzleloader. I've only bore sighted it so far but after going out handgun shopping this weekend I plan on putting some holes in paper with it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last Saturday, but it's new. Normally I'll take one to the range a couple of times during the summer and see if it's still on. That'll be easier now that I have a smokeless ML. Darn thing seems very accurate. Heavy, but kicks a bit . . . CB

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime between now and when the season starts. We sight in our rifles at the same time. I personally like to wait til the temps drop from summer time.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine has been sighted in for years. I usually check it with one shot a week or so before season but it consistently will put them on a tennis ball at 150 yrds and has not had an adjustment in years. I have hunted with black powder in years though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last Saturday, but it's new. Normally I'll take one to the range a couple of times during the summer and see if it's still on. That'll be easier now that I have a smokeless ML. Darn thing seems very accurate. Heavy, but kicks a bit . . . CB

Yeah, I have the same load in my smokless from last season.
I'll shoot it cold, and then let everything cool off and shoot it again several times with a cold barrel each time.
The cold barrel shot is the most important. I don't make scope changes on a hot barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom