When do you sight in your muzzleloader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you sight it in?

• Total voters

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knight Disc Elite is already sighted in ... but will always double check Leopold scope hasn't got bumped.

may be switching back to primitive black powder this year with percussion cap and iron sights. modern inline black powder rifles are so accurate ... not much difference from shooting a standard rifle.

Reaction score
Done done it, along with 3 centerfire rifles (for that season), several weeks back, in two range trips. Gotta have time to practice a lot with archery equipment. If I didn't archery hunt, likely I'd wait until October. But there's NO TIME in October as it stands now. So late August / early September at the latest. All of September to practice the bow & scout, practice the bow & scout (and now x-bow).

Sit in stand on opening morning. Don't see no deer. Shoot at a dirt clod during the noon hour to see if it is sighted in.

Well that's one way - different strokes. There's less of a margin for error if (a) you're using iron sights, or (b) you didn't change anything from last year - same gun & same scope. And very little margin of error if both: iron sights on same sight setting, & with same gun (with same load). I'd do what you do if that were the case. Except I'd probably wait til the end of the last day of the first weekend to test instead of fouling my barrel on noon on the first day. And except I shoot at trees instead of dirt clods. I like to see how far stuff penetrates into large and small trees. :)

As it stands, I play musical guns, musical scopes, and musical loads in a nearly-endless way, so off to the range I go - it's a real shame that I "have to" go to the range so much. :D

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sighted mine in today. I had always shot iron sights on my muzzleloader, but I recently upgraded the scope on my model 700, and the in-line got the hand me down. After shooting it today, I'm regretting not putting one on there sooner. Probably wouldn't have missed that hog last year!

Latest posts

Top Bottom