When you want reliable transportation leave the Harley at the house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd venture to say that most police departments got away from Harley during the AMF years when the bikes were awful and the KZ1000 was around for reliable police use.

And I'd agree that today's Harley is greatly improved over those made during the AMF years and I wouldn't bash the American part of it at all.

Motorcycling is very much about personal taste and riding style. I just can't get into bikes that look and feel like I'm riding around on a La-Z-Boy.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harley Davidson puts "Made in Japan" parts in a "Made in USA" bag, apologizes and promises to fix the bag label.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/american-icon-not-all-american/nFgZ8/
The company tells Clancy it does not intentionally mislead buyers. And in response to Rogers’ issue, Blankenheim says Harley has changed the labeling on the part Rogers buys.

Plenty of authentic, genuine HD parts from outside of the US.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/bike/harley made in japan label.jpg
http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/japcrap.jpg
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2011/11/17/8d/8d/clancy_photo2.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/cowanrlsr/bagcontents.jpg

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, this sure has turned into a fanboy thread. It's all good, HD, import, European, ultra light & powerful sport bike, vintage, Vespa, etc..
The common thread that connects riders is the desire to just get out and ride. I have much respect for the guys that chop up an 80's Yam 650, Ironhead Sportster, old Beemer, rusty Triumph or whatever and (stealing a quote here) rock that POS across the country.

Beats sitting around at bike night anytime.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This thread makes me miss riding, big time. But I see so many people weaving and bobbing in their two ton tanks texting on cell phones or just generally not paying attention to anything.

No way I'm taking a bike out among those idiots.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda late getting into this I guess, I ride Jap bikes, usually when I am asked why I say because I used to ride a Harley which is absolutely true. In 1970 I bought a slightly used XLCH, it was fast but I spent a lot of time working on it, the third time the horn bracket broke from vibration I didn't bother to go back for it. I was doing some drag racing and it took a lot of time to keep it in tune. One night at the strip I got beat bad by a 750 Honda Four, Monday morning I traded it in on one and have ridden Jap bikes ever since. I am still amazed at their reliability.
My main ride now is a Honda Valkyrie Interstate with a Suz. Volusia for town use. both are extremely reliable and so far have been trouble free.
I have ridden with a lot of people that have Harley's and I have to admit they are vastly better than back when I owned one and I wouldn't mind having one again now that their quality is up (thanks to the Japs) but I am on a metric budget. I realize they have a good re-sale value but I just hate to think of spending twice as much for a Harley that is comparable to the Interstate. Once you leave the parking lot and hit the road you kinda forget what make it is and besides, on the Interstate I can listen to the radio both on the expressway and the stoplights.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At a bike show a few years ago i had my pretty highly modified VTX (Custom built and modified long fenders, lowered, seat pan custom built and lowered into the cradle about 2"and back about 3", accutronix forwards, apes, etc..etc..etc) , sitting beside a HD....this girl asked "is that a harley? I said "no, it's a Honda". She said, looking at them both..."what's the difference??" i said............................

"Mine runs all the time" : ) The dude with the HD was soooo pissed. LOL I Was like Dude....it's all good, they all got two wheels. He was so assed up he wouldn't even talk. I hear people talking about metric bikes all the time and i take it all in stride...and laff with them and give them just as much crap....who cares? LOL Don't take life so seriously. : )

rings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im still young at heart and LOVE the adrenaline rush of being leaned over in a corner at excessive speeds! AKA I Love the Jap sportbikes!!

I personally dont care what ya ride, just as long as your riding!! Now to buy another bike...

Latest posts

Top Bottom