Who has replaced satellite tv with internet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not that tech savy but do use some technology and internet daily. The cost of smart phones/data and Directv has me looking at other options. We live in a rural area but get 4G signal through Verizon and the wife doesn't want to give up some of her tv shows not available on OTA TV.

I've been looking at buying a smart tv, dropping Dirctv or reducing to minimum package, minimizing Verizon data, putting the antennae back up and subscribing to Atlink rural internet to watch tv through Netflix, Hulu, etc. If the programming we want is available and Atlink is reliable I could save significant $.

Has anyone here had good experience with Atlink? The limited number of reviews I found on Google were old and negative but I think a new Atlink tower is very close to me. And, will the internet adequately replace satellite for programming?

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife and I have been unplugged for over two years now. It took a little adjustment, I missed a few shows at first but in the end it wasn't worth the near 200.00 a month bill. We use the Roku device we have two of them now. I believe eventually smart TV's Apple TV's, the Roku, google Chrome Stick, the Amazon Fire stick...will take over the Cable/Satellite TV market with la carte TV channels...that is if you want say the History channel you can pay 2.99 a month and then you want the Outdoor channel 2.00 a month and so on...this is already available with HBO and this month a major TV/News network has added this....there is a history channel and others, but currently they require you piggy-back on your cable/sat tv provider...

I don't like the Apple TV products..for me the Roku is my first pick, they have thousands of channels you can add or remove from your system, Apple you get what they think is best for you...you have no say in whats offered on the Apple TV.

We currently pay for Amazon Prime, included with prime we get good selection of movies, and TV shows, free second day shipping on Prime items, and many no-cost books for the Kendle..if happen to be astudent or have acess to one you can get this for about 50.00 a year

We also pay for Netflix, not sure what it cost...less then 10.00 a month..may drop them and just use Amazon for a while and see how that goes.

We also pay for

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Link is the worst internet service we have ever used. We never could get the speeds we paid for and the signal varied wildly even though the antenna had direct line-of-sight to the main feed tower and a repeater tower a few hundred feet away.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Link is the worst internet service we have ever used. We never could get the speeds we paid for and the signal varied wildly even though the antenna had direct line-of-sight to the main feed tower and a repeater tower a few hundred feet away.

This became my first experience with @link. The demand grew faster than their capacity so the system got overloaded and had lots of problems. I have them again now after Verizon became unviable due to cost and data limits. @link put in many upgrades and added towers to my area and it has been a much better experience this time. Still have occasional slow periods but nothing like before.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This became my first experience with @link. The demand grew faster than their capacity so the system got overloaded and had lots of problems. I have them again now after Verizon became unviable due to cost and data limits. @link put in many upgrades and added towers to my area and it has been a much better experience this time. Still have occasional slow periods but nothing like before.

I have been with atlink for several years now. It has it's ups and downs, but overall better then internet from Dobson telephone company.
In the evening it will have it's slowdowns, when the kids get home from school. I am on the end of the line of towers, and kind of expect it.
It can go down during heavy Ice storms, 3 times in 4 years, but usually back with in a couple hours. The office help is minimum wage, the techs are great.

I will stick with it for half the price of anything else comparable.

cencrunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
@link is good. Haven't had many problems, sometimes slow but overall the best available if you can't get cable. I have directv but this sounds interesting.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just about only watch Netflix through the Roku now. $7.99/mo.
On demand, no commercials, binge watching Blue Bloods. Yeah, I know, heavily pro civilian disarmament, but well written and the actors do a good job. I just wish someone would explain to Bridget Moynahan that her character doesn't actually want to sleep with Tom Selleck's character.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. We just dropped about $50 of options from directv and I'm checking out the Roku and others. Mostly depends on the reliability of Atlink and how much I can reduce Verizon data.

Latest posts

Top Bottom