Who taught you how to hunt/fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahzel100

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather (mom's dad) taught me how to shoot, hunt, and fish. He got me a BB gun when I was 8 or so and a 10/22 when I was 10. He took me squirrel hunting all summer and was with me when I harvested my first dear at 13. My dad is a computer nerd who hates guns, so me and him never (still to this day) see eye to eye. Since my dad never wanted to hang out or teach me things when I was a kid my grandfather became my best friend. Still is my best friend. To this day he builds everything he can with his hands and hunts almost every day of the year. Iv seen this man at 76 years old, with a broken ankle in a cast, walk out to the woods and climb a deer stand, shoot and track a dear, and pull the damn thing out of the woods.

ultimatesooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned a lot from one of my uncles and a guy I worked for in college who was married to my gf @ the times mom but I knew this guy years before he met the gfs mom.

I wish I would have had the chance to learn from my grandpa on my dad's side of the family as he was a trapper for the state and was some sort of manager for one of the WMAs but he died 2 years before I was born.

I had access to pretty much any piece of hunting or fishing equipment I wanted from about 6 years old on thanks to my uncle.

left the country for college and the corporate world a missed doing a lot of hunting and fishing for the last 10 years or so but I am getting back into it now

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Learned to fish and hunt almost everything from my dad. Taught myself to turkey hunt. Best early hunting memories were prairie chicken hunting in Osage Co. Hunted them like doves, but a less eratic and larger target:) I would say that there probably not very many of us under 40yo OK hunters who have taken prairie chickens in OK. Best friends dad taught me to trap. Can't wait to pass all this on to my kiddos.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great stories guys. You are right about the prairie chickens Okie4570. I never got in on that but had friends that did. I guess those days are gone.

You wanna shoot chickens come to NE, we got plenty of'em!

Grandpa's got me started on the basics of deer/dove/small game hunting. From there I went crazy, pretty much taught myself on everything else. Not much I don't hunt.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned most everything I know about hunting and fishing from my dad. I'm 49 now and I literally can't remember a time when I didn't have a gun to shoot. I started out with my older sisters BB gun and then got my own, one Christmas. Then I borrowed a .410 single shot bolt action gun that belonged to my Uncle. I really learned how to pick my shots on Dove and ducks with that shotgun. I worked with my dad building houses when I was 12, saved up all my money and bought an Ithaca mode 37 featherlight 12 gauge pump gun. Dad and I reloaded a bunch of shells each year during dove season. Dad was and is, a dedicated deer hunter, and we used to go together a lot. Killed my first buck with that Ithaca, shooting slugs, the only thing that was legal back then. Dad also showed me how to trap. When I was a young teen, it was work with my Dad in the summer and trap during the winter for spending cash. I've skinned a ton of possums for 75 cents or a dollar a hide. I loved all the books like White Fang and Buck, dog stories set in Canada and Alaska, with a central theme of hunters and trappers, I dreamed of moving to the north woods and living the wilderness life. That dream faded quickly when I discovered girls. LOL

I can remember the first time I went fishing, just a cork and line tied to a willow pole dad cut on the spot. After that me and my little sister roamed the creeks and ponds, fishing after school and weekends. I was always using the money I had saved to buy better gear.

I guess all in all, it wasn't a bad way to grow up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learned to fish and hunt almost everything from my dad. Taught myself to turkey hunt. Best early hunting memories were prairie chicken hunting in Osage Co. Hunted them like doves, but a less erratic and larger target:) I would say that there probably not very many of us under 40yo OK hunters who have taken prairie chickens in OK. Best friends dad taught me to trap. Can't wait to pass all this on to my kiddos.

I miss those days of the great chicken hunts in Osage county.
My great uncle didn't hunt, but owned a section of land going into Grainola, and a Section a mile north of there. He only allowed me and my friends on it.
During nesting seasons he would take the cows off of the land, and confine them to small pastures. Lots of the landowners took care of the chickens back in the 60's and early 80's.
They fell into decline, and I've never really heard anybody give a definite answer why. Even those I've talked to with ODW have mixed opinions.

In talking with the Osage GW stationed in Ponca, he said they are having a comeback, but the numbers are not near enough to have another hunting season.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You wanna shoot chickens come to NE, we got plenty of'em!

Grandpa's got me started on the basics of deer/dove/small game hunting. From there I went crazy, pretty much taught myself on everything else. Not much I don't hunt.

I went up by Valentine once and hunted them and sharptails. Only got one chicken but the group got a few sharptails. I may take you up on that next fall. I love a good day of walking up birds.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad in addition to the guy who wrote this and other fishing books: http://www.amazon.com/North-Americas-Freshwater-Fishing-Book/dp/0684177765

Dad took care of the hunting, and Mike, the fishing.

My dad helped Mike out when he was down on his luck, starving author. He lived with us for a few years and in the same town when he got his legs under him. We tore up the trout in many a New England brook.

We've lost touch, and he'd probably be sad to hear I haven't really fished in years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom