Why do I live in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Granddad's family left Atlanta after Sherman burned it, and moved to Tennessee. The war followed. They moved to Missouri. The war followed. They moved to the Nations, later known as Indian Territory, later known as Oklahoma. The war didn't follow.

Through the years I have been all over the country, and have seen the good and bad each place offered. I have also seen the black dog, seen it rain on a sunny day, and fought the dragon.

The best place is still my own driveway. Same town, fifth generation. Roots are deep enough until the Trumpet sounds, then I'll be in a better place.

Nice and well stated.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born an okie, will die an okie.
Haven't been to many other states, Colorado is awesome but it's the same thing, where else can you have this much variety? Quoted dennishoddy!
I love the weather it keeps you going, who wants to live someplace where its 80 degrees year round? Not me, love the weather!

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, this really nice guy comes in today and he had just moved here from Commiefornia, his words, not mine. He said, to paraphrase, "I'll take the Constitution over weather any day." Sums it up quite nicely.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Kemah long before there was a boardwalk. We used to love riding our bikes down the drawbridge when they would stop the traffic for a boat. That said, I would rather live here.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be honest and while I've met some nice people here in central Oklahoma, I just can't get used to it after growing up in eastern Oklahoma where I was surrounded by tree's and huge green pastures and lakes and rivers and hills and valleys. Doesn't help I'm not a city girl by any means, I much prefer waking up to deer in the yard and rabbits and quail and hunting and fishing and riding horses and a weekend evening out consisting of going to the rodeo, having a couple drinks and driving home (no, not driving after drinking) through the dark countryside with the windows down and listening to the crickets and the smell of honeysuckle in the air.

Now my evenings and days for that matter, consist of being forced to hear rap music being pumped through speakers that rattle my house and even waiting in traffic. Even the things that are similar are more like muted versions that's just remind me of the country. There are areas outside the city that are more like where I grew up but still no trees and isn't the same. I'm sure people who grew up here like it but it's not for me.

Oklahoma as a whole has good gun related laws but they are also really backwards in many respects. The cost of living is low but the cost of insurance is 93% higher than the national average and the highest in the nation. We are always the last state in the union to decriminalize things that never should have been criminal to begin with, such as tattoos, and even then we get drug out of the dark ages kicking and screaming. We have people who are kind, generous and compassionate but we also elect people like Sally Kern who is an embarrassment and a huge stain on our states reputation for civil rights and equality (I can't think of a single more despicable person in this state). However, if were going to raise a family anywhere it would be a nice rural area in Oklahoma, most likely eastern OK, so that says something.

I have lived and traveled in and through much of America and will say if you haven't visited other states you are missing so, so, so much! There are several states that I found absolutely beautiful and full of good people like Arkansas (one of the prettiest states in the entire union), Arizona through the desert canyons and hills is stunning, Tennessee is beautiful and reminds me a lot of eastern Oklahoma, Maryland/Delaware/Virginia is amazing (don't think I could live there except maybe Virginia) but beautiful places to visit, Louisiana is like a whole new world, love that place. Georgia is gorgeous and north and south Georgia are like two different but very beautiful states, California, while being a abomination to the constitution is absolutely amazing! You can can go one direction for a few hours and be in the dunes or in a different direction and be in the tallest forest you've ever seen or in another snow skiing or another and be surfing and beach sunning. Florida is pretty awesome, especially the Keys..that area is paradise!

I can't believe how many people I've met in Oklahoma who have never left the state and ask why should they? I guess not everyone is interested it seeing and experiencing new things but if you are definitely save up and go visit a state that seems interesting or overseas if you can afford that, I can't or I would, just avoid mexico or it might be your last vacation :/

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't like where you live; move, across the street, across town, across the state, across the country, or across the ocean.

If you just don't have the stones to move, please, quit whining about where you live.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy sitting on my porch, practicing the sport of tornado watching. In any other state it would just look dumb.

Last month we took our grandson to Mesa Verde National Park, Co. We pulled up to one of the sites and three other families were there from Oklahoma. Talked for a bit and went on our way. My 7 year old grandson asked if I knew those people. I told him, nope but everyone from Oklahoma are friends. I then said to him, it is because we all share the same addiction to being free. He asked whats an addiction?

Latest posts

Top Bottom