Why do I live in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lived 20 minutes from Kemah for 25 yrs .... great food, awesome fishing ........... and then there's the high property taxes, traffic, HUMIDITY, outrageous electric bills, housing costs, ..............

It's funny, we stayed until the kids got out of school, I retired and we moved to OK. Within 6 months, the kids and their families moved here. All 3 within 35 miles.

You want to live in Kemah, Colo, Kommiefornia, NYC; I don't care, enjoy yourself. I'm staying here.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have lived in 3 states, counting Oklahoma. Oklahoma isn't the prettiest. But I love the weather here. Probably liked Fayetteville, AR weather a bit better but only because it didnt get QUITE as hot in summer, usually.

Also, I don't know of another state where the politics agree with my personal views more closely. Sometimes the people are a touch bit too conservative, but meh, beggars can't be choosers.

In every state or community Ive lived in, all of them think the people are the friendliest and most giving, so that is mostly a wash. Every community comes together in wake of tragedy or need, that is not unique to anywhere.

If I was to move again, without looking into it more closely, my first choices would be Arizona, Tennessee or North Carolina......MAYBE Washington or Oregon, but Id have to look closer at the politics and the demographics as to where the politics were headed.

I should add though, when we left California, we were able to CHOOSE anywhere in the US we wanted to live and we choose Fayetteville. I was fortunate enough to buy my house in CA at 19 years old and then sold at almost the top of the housing boom. I wanted to move or at least visit Portland, OR area but my wife wanted the south. So we ended up in Fayetteville.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've lived in quite a few defferent parts of this fine country but I was born an Okie and will most likely die an Okie.
Sooner born and Sooner bred,
When I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Technically, I guess I wasn't born an Okie, as I was born in another state (while my dad was waiting for his company to open a position in Oklahoma), but my parents are both Okies, and I've lived here since I was three, so I consider myself to be a native Okie. I've had extended visits in other places, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have spent most of the last couple days driving thru the back country highways of the Crosstimber range. The redbuds are in full bloom. The country side is literally filled with purple trees lining and surrounding the crosstimbers.

As far as I'm concerned, it's georgeous.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HAHA! My best friend that I grew up with has a boat in the marina in the Keema/Freeport area. Every time we go there to do some offshore fishing, my share of the fuel runs more than $200. The three, 300hp Mercs on the back of that beast eat a lot of fuel!

That certainly proves the old saying about the definition of a boat: a hole in the water you pour money into. OMG!!! Probably even worse with this gas price jump just today taking the price in Tulsa to $3.499.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im hating the cold, though short winters more every year. I wouldnt mind living in a warmer place.

I guess I stay here to be near family and because I have a lot of time and effort invested in a well established business that I wouldn't want to have to start over.
So that's why I'm still here.

Well, that and the ankle monitor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom