Why do I live in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have traveled the world. Oklahoma is home. And every time on our way back, we say "It's going to be good to get home"!!

What you mean is to get back to familiar surroundings, your own bed and all your stuff.
I lived in Kemah for 6 years, nice area but what I miss most is the 36 hour Tuna trips out of Galveston.

Nope, I meant each word. Home is home, home is where your heart is, home is where your kids and grandkids are. Home is just plain simple good to get back to!!!!!!!!!!! Sure, there are some jaw dropping beautiful places out there to be seen, and my wife and I have seen our fair share of them. But to see the kids and grandkids smiles and such when you get home from a long trip, far outweigh any beauty and fun we had!

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Los Angeles, specifically Pasadena. Spent 18 years there before leaving. I've always said Los Angeles is a great place to be from. I had more opportunities to see and do things than most kids. My best friend from high school still lives in CA and loves it. I graduated, joined the US Navy and saw the world. When I got out, I ended up in OKC for a job. I fell in love with Oklahoma and just like everything,.. it's all about tradeoffs. Sure there is no ocean or real mountains here but the cost of happiness here is much less. No traffic, no psycotic real estate prices. Do I miss being able to drive 30 min one direction to the Pacific Ocean or 30 min the other direction and be able to snow ski? Do I miss In-n-Out Burger? Sure I do but that's what they make airplanes for. Took the family out to LA for spring break and had a blast,.. but was ready to come home to Tulsa.

Every place has pros and cons,.. and they are different for everyone. I love it here, love the people and unless I make a stupid amount of money and move to Costa Rica,.. I'll stay here for the rest of my life.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love this state, not from here but I call it home for now. Thought about moving last year (cousin in Hawaii wants me to move out there) but I've still got two years on my OK hunt/fish license. I'll at least get the full term out of it before I go island hopping

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was born and raised in Colo...been in Oklahoma since I was 8. Joined the AF thinking I would see the world, got stationed in Altus. :nutkick: I did a fair bit of TDY tours (mostly in the sand and europe) and I travel now quite a bit with my job. I'd leave in a heartbeat to live somewhere else, but I'm not itchin' to do so.

okie has great things to offer, but so does everywhere else, just depends on what you like to do. It is nice to come home after a trip though...like someone else said.

I've been enjoying the seafood here in Seattle though....damn.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been enjoying the seafood here in Seattle though....damn.

Oklahoma (especially rural Oklahoma) is, quite simply, the best place in the world to live, work, and raise a family. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Friendly people, low cost of living, people (generally) mind their own business, the political climate is just shy of full-blown libertarian.

No, we don't have blue water. Seafood is non-existent. Summers are hot. Winters can suck. We've got tornadoes, earthquakes, and sandstorms.

But we've got freedom.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll always be proud to be from Oklahoma. It's certainly the best state in the South or the Midwest in my opinion. That being said, I don't want to live here forever. If only because there are hot weather people and there are cold weather people. Me? If I never saw 100 degrees again I wouldn't be too upset. Cost of living makes sackin' up for a move difficult, tho. Poor man can live well in Tulsa. My house could be bought by a couple retail workers here. Put the same house in another city, especially on the west coast, and it would take a couple six-figure DINKs a while to come up with a down payment.

My parents hate the heat too. I'm trying to get them to move when they retire in a few years. If they did, I'd damn sure not have much reason to be here.

I always say Oklahoma is like a family member you love buy annoys the hell out of you. If you're related, you can make fun of her all you want. If you're from here and want to run Oklahoma down, you get a pass. I'll jump out of my seat to put an out of towner in their place for **** talking this state, though.

I'm sitting here on the Keemah boardwalk enjoying the saltgrass prime rib, awesome weather and waterfront view with a margarita. There is so much outside of OK, why would anyone live there? I've lived such a sheltered life!

I love my job!

There's so much outside of Texas, too. Especially the gulf coast. Not my scene. I like west of there better, bu still wouldn't want to live there. I'm going west and north if I ever get out. South of Tulsa and east of the big river holds nothing for me.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cost of living is what brought me back but the people, traffic and politics is part of what keeps me here. Borne in Perry but spent most of my life in So California, weather was nice but that's about it. Traffic, people and politics sucked. Besides, no way could I afford to own 7.5 acres 20 minutes from down town anywhere in southern cal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean they're stocking them in Skiatook now?...Awesome! :laugh6:

HAHA! My best friend that I grew up with has a boat in the marina in the Keema/Freeport area. Every time we go there to do some offshore fishing, my share of the fuel runs more than $200. The three, 300hp Mercs on the back of that beast eat a lot of fuel!

Latest posts

Top Bottom