Why do people pick specific calibers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes , Thank You , thats what it was.

Watching too many shows, the info starts to run together.

Need to try to shoot more, reloading will have to come before that ...Thanks for the correction.

Not a correction, just information. When you get into reloading, you will be fortunate. There are a ton of folks on this forum that have solid information.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^Some of your dies, like mine do dual duty. .38/.357 mag, and so on.

Nice collection!

thanks .. here's a few different calibers bullets to go with dies ..

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_bullets.JPG

home.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_bullets5.JPG

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For handgun calibers I have: .380,.40 and .45acp. I'm a big fan of .40 myself. The reason being is its farily easy to find in an ammo panic and many many PD's and gov't agencies use it. If its good enough for the FBI, and Secret Service its good enough for the average guy.

Rifle calibers I have 5.56, 7.62X39, 7.5x55 and 7.62X54R

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, you only buy one manufacturer of handgun ammo? Can you tell us what brought you to that decision? I've not had great luck with UMC in my wife's Smith 9mm, but I recently cleaned the crud out and am going to try it again... that's the only brand-specific problem I can remember running into (that damn Walther P22 aside!! lol).

I won't even buy UMC ammo anymore, it runs dirty and the accuracy is always horrible in all my handguns including my S&W PC revolver which is insanely accurate. I've used it in rifles with no problems but out of handguns, no bueno.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won't even buy UMC ammo anymore, it runs dirty and the accuracy is always horrible in all my handguns including my S&W PC revolver which is insanely accurate. I've used it in rifles with no problems but out of handguns, no bueno.

maybe the projectiles are a bit undersized???

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hmm, I usually buy it bulk.

Now if youRe talkin anything less than a 9" pie plate @ oh 30-40 feeet. its pretty darn accurate , dirty, yes.

But nothing a carwash wont take care of....;) .....cheep 8/

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.45 ACP 1911 or .357Mag Ruger for carry.

stock and reload

7mmRemMag - capable of taking ANYTHING I will ever need to shoot at.
.30-06 - same as above - was Dad's - 1903 Springfield
7x57 - 1896 Mauser - mild recoil, accurate
.223 M4 & bolt gun
6.5x55 - 1896 Mauser - light, accurate, my fav deer cal / rifle
12ga 2 3/4 & 3"
16ga
20 ga
.44 Mag Super Blackhawk & Browning '94Win - love having the matched cowboy set to deer / hog hunt with.

and a large assortment in .22lr and .22MRF.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Big Five Handgun Caliber Choice Factors:
1. Capacity - extra rounds on board is a good thing
2. Cost
3. Effectiveness - "stopping power"
4. Availability - easy to find
5. Comfort - recoil at a tolerable level

Obviously there are tradeoffs here. You can't find the best in all five factors in one caliber.

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WRT handgun calibers, this discussion may be merely preferential as the terminal ballistics of the 3 most common us handgun calibers (9,40,45) have become increasingly similar over the last 20+ years. After studying the effect on tissue in deceased people, with modern high quality hollow points, and modern manufacturing practices the ballistics are a wash. With fmj, there is a slight difference favoring .45.

That said, if I am planning to defend (loading my carry pistols) I will load HPs. So, 9mm might win out based on capacity and price alone.

There is some research that depending on what a bad guy is wearing, HPs may function as FMJ, as they fail to open. More of a factor stateside than in sandbox, which leans back to .45 stateside.

If overseas and prohibited from carrying HPs for humanitarian reasons (Geneva) and given a choice, I'd pick .45 in FMJ.

The other question is one of ORM. How likely am I to get into an engagement in which 3 mags of ammo will not stop the threat? Is the US, pretty slim for most people. So it's then a matter of gun frame preference. Size, weight, fit, function and available holsters and acessories.

I've never had a revolver jam on me, but I suck at reloading one onset pressure, so I admit and accept my weakness there and shy away from those calibers.

If you are not that great of a shot and choose the 9mm for extra capacity, I would argue that is a grossly irresponsible attitude. Ever heard of round accountability?? Know your target, your capabilities, what's behind and in front of your target and what can get in the way. Get to the range, and become familiar with your gun, and you capabilities. If you have never made a 25yrd hostage shot on paper in grossly adverse and distracting conditions, then don't think you'll come close with a real world scenario. Go train.

So for me, as an edc caliber stateside 9 or .40 interchangeably. Sandbox or high country... .45 please.

Please do not carry a .22lr pistol, I have seen lg dudes (naturally padded) have these rounds literally bounce off their gut and been found in their clothes in the ER. Should you ever be unfortunate enough to have to use your handgun in defense of your life or that of others, please be responsible enough to choose a caliber that will end the threat, and not turn a bad situation to worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom