Why do some people turn out so stupid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come see the roof a friend of a friend begged me to let let him replace.
Think I'm done with sad stories. Guy had been in prison for drugs but had found his path back. Screwed a few of us.
I was out of town when he hit my wife up for half the money (7 grand) telling her some BS story about needing to pick up materials and I knew about it.
I didn't.
Sueing was useless as he had nothing and nothing in his name. Had to threaten to beat him to death with a 6 iron to get him to finish but the work was so bad I had to make him stop. Paid another guy almost as much to fix his crap as it did to get the job done right by the right person and it's still crap.
Oh well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come see the roof a friend of a friend begged me to let let him replace.
Think I'm done with sad stories. Guy had been in prison for drugs but had found his path back. Screwed a few of us.
I was out of town when he hit my wife up for half the money (7 grand) telling her some BS story about needing to pick up materials and I knew about it.
I didn't.
Sueing was useless as he had nothing and nothing in his name. Had to threaten to beat him to death with a 6 iron to get him to finish but the work was so bad I had to make him stop. Paid another guy almost as much to fix his crap as it did to get the job done right by the right person and it's still crap.
Oh well.
Lots of contractor nightmares out there.
After our two bathroom remodel that took almost a year, (we only paid him by percentage of work done) I finally had to get serious with him as well.
Wife wanted the remodel, and I disagreed, but she won, so I washed my hands of it for the most part and let the misery settle in.
He did some of the greatest tile work I've ever seen and other including the contractors that did our kitchen remodel agreed it was incredible work.
When it came to the Kitchen I got involved and said whoever did it had to own a store front as they had some stake in the game maintaining their business.
We got a local store with a great reputation to install our kitchen floor tiles. Worst job ever. We refuse to pay until they ripped it out and redid it. They never even used rock set to level the floor and there were voids under the tiles with corners sticking up to hook a sock on. They did fix it before we paid a dime.
The Cabinet company was incredible. Two weeks, and we had the best cabinets and counter top we could have wished for. They had a store front.
I know another OSA person that is going through the remodel nightmare as we speak.

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am self employed, in a business on the periphery of construction. Been at it over 16 years.

When I was getting started, an old hand in the biz said ' I can tell you in 4 words how to be successful in this, or any biz.'

His four words ?

Do as you say.

Know what ? He was right.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my best friends from my Army days has an adult son that installs fences. I was talking to him about how well he was doing. He said it was really easy because most people that build fences don't give a crap.
He said he never builds a fence himself anymore, because he may have 10 different jobs going at the same time. However, he visits every worksite daily and personally inspects all fences before his crew can say it is complete. He then goes around and checks every fence once a month for the first 6 months and repairs any warped boards or other issues. He leaves a card on the owners door telling them what he was corrected and to call him with any other issues, even if it is after hours or the weekend.

We were discussing this sitting on the deck of a 350K house drinking wine. He said he makes about 12K a month net on average doing the easiest build job their is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom