Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most all of us keep our handguns for safety, in a place where we can get to them at our most vulnerable times. This place, being the bedroom. And for most of us, our wives call our guns big boys toys, as we jokingly do. The irony of these toys placed in this most private, vulnerable location leaves question marks.?? Was Samual Colt kinky? His dragoon would lead you to believe so. We know foreigners are kinky, so that would explain Uberti's and Taurus's size fascination, unless they are just a Colt Copy Cat. And this lifestyle is not just for the wealthy, Heritage Arms, too, has something for you to slip between the sheets with. SIZE MATTERS! What do you Auto guys keep "Behind Closed Doors"?

Colt dragoon.jpg
Uberti long barrel.jpg
Taurus long barrel.jpg
Heritage long barrel.jpg

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter isn’t old enough to legally carry yet, but I’ve been thinking about what I’ll give her when it’s time. I have a Glock 43, an Sig 238, and recently bought a Smith 642, and as of now, I’m thinking the 642 would be the best option for her. God forbid she ever has to pull it, there’s no safety to remember and have to manipulate and no chance it won’t go bang if/when she pulls the trigger. I’ve been shooting some handloaded wadcutters in it, and it’s very easy to shoot accurately due to lack of recoil.
My son and daughter both carry the Sig P938. I like the size (not full). I shot them a couple of times and liked myself.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you all think revolvers never "jam" , that all ya have to do is just keep pulling the trigger, they never break, you are all very delusional. Just go watch a USPSA revolver match and take extra hands to count the malfunctions and breakages. There is nothing quite as amusing as watching a high speed revolver guy do a blazing fast reload only to have the cylinder fall out of the gun because the crane screw backed out or sheared as he was "jamming in the speed loader. Or getting done shooting and not being able to open the gun because the ejector rod backed out. Or watching a gun tie up due to bullet pull and or primers backing out, and wor until the guy that gets a little dirt under the ejector "star" and slammed the cylinder shut. Yeah... right... They never "jam" y'all a buncha delusional wheel gun guys, or ya just don't shoot them much.
I agree with you. Bad sh_t happens, with both style weapons. With me it's just the occurrence amount and severity of the inherent problems. The fact that for every jammed or broken revolver there is, an equal or more likely, much higher number of accidental, self-inflicted injury discharges of an auto occur. Reverse this now. For every jammed or broken autoloader there is, a miniscule amount of accidental discharges and even far less accidental self-inflicted injuries occur from revolver. That leads me back to my post much earlier in this thread. For this the Muscle vs Mind scale is used. Does the total weight of all the projectiles an autoloader can hold outweigh the overall simplicity and safety of the revolver?

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, while a revolver doesn't malfunction quite as often as a semi-auto, when they do, it usually renders them damn near useless. With an auto, you can clear it and get back in the fight/game rather quickly (with proper training). With a wheelie, it usually needs disassembled to clear and repair.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, while a revolver doesn't malfunction quite as often as a semi-auto, when they do, it usually renders them damn near useless. With an auto, you can clear it and get back in the fight/game rather quickly (with proper training). With a wheelie, it usually needs disassembled to clear and repair.
Good point. This is why I tend to carry wheelguns that have proven themselves. My 681 is undergoing a test where I shoot a lot of rounds through it without cleaning it. It is doing fine.

My 681, I can rely on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom