Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must honestly say I’m surprised how many people say they’re more accurate with a revolver. I enjoy revolvers but I find I’m more accurate and much quicker shooting with my semiautomatics.

Probably just not enough range time with my revolvers? I’m accurate with a revolver in single action target shooting… but when it comes to reactionary fast shooting I’m auto loader all the way

That being said I’ve carried an lcr 357 and I love the lcr for a carry gun.

Sig365CCW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I must honestly say I’m surprised how many people say they’re more accurate with a revolver. I enjoy revolvers but I find I’m more accurate and much quicker shooting with my semiautomatics.

Probably just not enough range time with my revolvers? I’m accurate with a revolver in single action target shooting… but when it comes to reactionary fast shooting I’m auto loader all the way

That being said I’ve carried an lcr 357 and I love the lcr for a carry gun.
At 3-10 yards I can put all 5 shoots into a 3 inch circle with my snub and usually tighter groups than that. It’s a long smooth trigger pull and I think just focusing on the front sight while I roll the trigger is what helps. Im a little better with my 365 but not much.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, CCI 45 ACP snake shot cycles and feeds perfectly in my 1911. I can easily do what you suggest without anything other than pulling the trigger, I can even stager it snake shot, ball, snake shot, ball... Etc, or run 4 snakes shot and 4 ball. Gun cycles just fine, and yes I have tried it and done it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because I was hunting with it? About the only reason I have to carry a revolver.

My only revolvers are large. A 3 in colt king cobra in 357 is the smallest revolver I own. My edc guns are smaller, lighter semi autos with far more capacity.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At no time have I said one type was better than the other. All I am pointing out is that revolvers can and do Jam. The problem I have seen is too many folks think of a revolver as a load and forget system and they are not. You have to check the screws, you have to check the ejector rod, you have to keep it clean under the ejector star. As pointed out, and not even by me, when revolvers Jam they are pretty much done until worked on on a bench with tools.
Now personally why I don't carry one comes from my youth. Hawaii 50 and Manix were all the crazy. My dad got a model 36 Smith. At the time I was usually carrying a Colt Single action around the ranch for day to day stuff. Being a kid I really wanted to carry that little 38! So my dad let me. One day we were at the dump and someone had discarded a coffee machine... the old kind that dropped a cup and you got to watch it fill up the cup. Cabinet was sheet metal. I shot that cabinet from about 8 yards and not a single 158 grain round nose 38s went through the sheet metal. Dad got out the Colt and that 45 went all the way in and broke a bunch of stuff inside and the whole cabinet shook. After that I have never ever had the desire to ever have one. When it came time to buy a pistol I bought a Nickeled Colt Combat Commander and never looked back. Yes I know there are much better ammo choices out there for these guns and yes they are compact and light pocket carry guns, just not for me

Ak12161

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reliability? Ease of use? Nostalgia?

Seems like the capacity and reload disadvantages would hinder this choice, but I'm sure there are some that still prefer a wheel gun.
Because, eventually will come a day where I get to say the line, I’m your huckleberry, and come the day that happens. I’ll be a happy camper.

But for real though, it’s light, easy to carry, double action, a good overall gun that requires experience to carry effectively. My revolver for carry is a 442 with no Hillary hole and 1 speed loader. My other method of carry is a p938 legion with spare mag in pocket and a NAA ranger on my ankle with a speed loader.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this little satin nickel 442 this weekend.It has one of the smoothest nicest triggers I've ever come across, but I doubt it will replace my Sig P365 as my EDC.
Reques
20240310_231159.jpg
t

Latest posts

Top Bottom