Why the snubbing of small caliber ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Caliber debates are all over the internet with some pretty decent examples shot into ballistic material.
Shot placement trumps caliber in my opinion. If you have a carry gun that you will actually carry and can put multiple rounds on target when and if needed that’s the one for you.
I’d rather carry a .50 cal but can shoot both my .380 and 9 mm decent enough to get me out of most problems I may encounter. Some big caliber guns left at home do no one any good if they don’t have them if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard alot say a 30-30 is not good its weak but have seen alot of stuff taken with that round. So far with what I have ran through the 380 I feel I handle it just fine. I have always thought no matter the round if its on target it will do the job if you miss then no matter how big or powerful the round its no good.
This is partially true, partially not.

A more powerful round gives you a bigger margin of error. A shot through the heart with a .380 will kill someone just as dead as a shot through the heart with a .44 mag. But a shot through a lung with a .44 might be just as good as a shot through the heart with a .380.

Shot placement is rarely perfect, more powerful cartridges are an advantage if shot placement isn't perfect. That's what I mean when I say more powerful cartridges are more forgiving.

The more power the better, but not beyond what you can control. And again, it's a compromise. The best defense cartridge is 50 BMG, but it's not practical. So you sacrifice some power to carry something practical.

This is not to dissuade you from a .380, if you are confident with that. It will do the job, but shot placement is more important with it than with larger/more powerful calibers. But it's important to some degree with any caliber.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With most ammo on the market nowadays makes the .380 ACP enough for a CCW weapon. If this is what you feel comfortable with then, by all means, forget what most people say. My wife carries a Glock 43 loaded with Hornady critical defense lite 9mm. It has an acceptable recoil for her in that small of a gun. Before that she carried a .380 ACP, and still from time to time carries its. Its all about what you are comfortable and accurate with. As most people say in this post its more about shot placements than caliber. People that don't understand that a certain caliber can be used for your carry weapon are the same people that don't understand that you can have a 16 oz claw hammer that will hammer the nail into the board the same as the 20 oz hammer. Its all about what feels comfortable in the hand of the person using it.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't carry 380 unless I'm going somewhere where carrying is strictly verboten. Watched it bounce off so many different things that I just don't believe in it. Last time we shot car windshields at the yard had several 380 rounds fail to penetrate and fly off. Had one 9mm round do so. 9mm is my minimum caliber. Another problem I have with 380 in my experience is it tends to be too often carried in sub par firearms.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... I piped up said I had a .380 I liked, one guy told all you would do is piss me off with it, the .380 would not go through a leather jacket ...

The above is just some guy talking "tough guy" BS. I agree that the lowly .380 is not the best; but it sure beats a harsh word. If you put a couple of hot .380's in a bad guy's forehead, face, throat, heart, center-mass...you really think it's just gonna piss him off? Seriously now...who thinks they can catch a couple of 95 gr chunks of lead in their breadbasket and just be in a bad mood about it? Only a fool, an internet tough guy, or someone who has never seen what bullets do to flesh. Bullets against flesh is a no brainer. Bullets for the win; even just those itsy bitsy .380ACP bullets.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
One day at work sitting on break I overheard coworkers talking about the guns they had what they shoot going about 9mm, .40, .45, I piped up said I had a .380 I liked, one guy told all you would do is piss me off with it, the .380 would not go through a leather jacket. I kept my mouth shut, but inside I am thinking it is something I like, and I am comfortable with it and can control it, what does the size of caliber matter? If I can't control or handle a .40, .45, 0r .357 would use is it? I have seen videos even of .22 going through stuff wouldn't think it would penatrate so that is surprising. To me if you handle the ammo and gun and keep it on target does the size of calibur really matter, if you can't handle it and keep it target then whats the point of having it. This is more for protection, EDC and having it concealed.

My .380 fits my hands perfect, easy for me to handle. I have tried some 9mm to me they are big, bulky and heavy and don't feel I could comfortably handle them. I don't want this to end up in a big heated debate just want honest thoughts of what others think of small calibur ammo for protection use. I understand the bigger caliburs what for bigger reasons, but for something to carry look at the smaller calibur. My thought also is once you start popping rounds the threat is more than likely to retreat and get out of dodge to avoid being hit anyway, I know I would run.

You know the old saying about opinions!! World is full of wannabe professionals that think they are the know all end all about everything!! I listen to all , take heed to what makes sense and move on. There is a study out that shows more people are killed with .22 than any other caliber or some such may have been .380. I will see if I can find it and post cause it is good stuff!!

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a S & W 442 in .38 special and a Ruger LCP in .380 both of which I front pocket carry......I carry the .38 98% of the time and only carry the .380 the other 2% and only when the situation dictates a smaller/ more concealable gun.

I will admit I feel "less armed" when I carry the .380.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a video of a big tough former Marine trooper put 5 shots of .357 center mass point blank on a guy, who then shot the trooper with a .22 derringer, while lying on his back in a ditch, paralyzed. .22 went in under his left arm, in the open spot of his body armor, you could watch the trooper die as his blood pressure dropped while he was calling on his lapel mic for backup, as that little .22 round transected his aorta. It was heartbreaking to watch.

Carry what you're comfortable with.
Really!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom