Wick Applicator for weed control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased a weed wick applicator aka weed wiper. This is a device that can be mounted to the bucket on your tractor or a smaller version can be mounted on your 4 wheeler to control weeds or invasive grasses in your food plots without harming your desirable plants. I ordered a 9 1/2 foot applicator from Manchester Mfg. Co in Manchester, Ok. (580) 694-2292,
website www.manchestermfg.com Mine cost around $850.00. They make smaller ones too.
This device is more cost effective to use than spraying as you use FAR less glyphosate/ ROUNDUP by wiping the weeds instead of spraying and killing everything including your desirable plants. The mix rate is 1 part glyphosate to 4 parts water and NO adjuvant or sticker. You do not use a sticking compound as it will gum up the cloth cover on the wick bar. This device is vital to me because I can selectively remove the unwanted grasses or weeds and not effect the good plants and not use as much chemical which puts less ROUNDUP in the soil.
To use simply attach to your tractor or 4 wheeler, adjust the height of the bar so as to wipe the upper 1/3 of the plant,open the gravity flow valve and start driving. You apply the chemical from 2 different directions to efficiently contact the plant Example N/S and E/W. I was told you can travel around 4-5 mph for your best application. Go to their website and give them a call. They were EXTREMELY helpful. This will save me alot of time this summer and alot of chemical and better manage my plots. The johnson grass is in real trouble now.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those have been around for years. At one time, you could buy the wicks as a kit, and install it in your own boom made from PVC pipe. Lots of crop farmers use 'em (or used to anyway) for the reasons you stated.

I never used Roundup except around the house & buildings. Used broad-leaf weed killers (mostly 2-4-D IIRC) for pasture spraying back in the day.
:drunk2:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roundup will not kill Johnson grass , just brown it out but it comes back .
This is not what I've heard. Johnsongrass does produce a lot of seeds though, which probably explains yours coming back. And most plant seeds will last more than one season.

"Before the weed produces a seed head in July, apply Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III. It works wonders on Johnsongrass because it gets down to the root. As always, remember not to spray it on the plants you like, as Roundup Weed & Grass Killer products work on any plants they come in contact with."
https://www.roundup.com/en-us/library/specific-weeds/what-johnsongrass-and-how-do-i-control-it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not what I've heard. Johnsongrass does produce a lot of seeds though, which probably explains yours coming back. And most plant seeds will last more than one season.

"Before the weed produces a seed head in July, apply Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III. It works wonders on Johnsongrass because it gets down to the root. As always, remember not to spray it on the plants you like, as Roundup Weed & Grass Killer products work on any plants they come in contact with."
https://www.roundup.com/en-us/library/specific-weeds/what-johnsongrass-and-how-do-i-control-it

Exactly. Latent seeds in the ground account for regrowth. I’ve killed then burned many acres only to see it come back from seed. A mature JG plant will have Rhizomes 1/2 to 5/8” thick a foot long or longer. The regrowth from latent seeds will easily pull up and show a small root pattern.
Then when you till the ground, you bury more seed. Intensive tillage over a couple of summers along with an initial spraying will take out the majority of Johnson grass. Then the bird poop brings it back from the neighbors that doesn’t control theirs. You can’t beat it, only control it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Mac they have been around for years and alot of farmers have or are using them. I thought some or the people on the board might be interested in hearing about them.
Ok22250 - Roundup will kill Johnson grass, but it depends on pH of water, nightly temp lows, growth stage, drought condition, and application rate. Are you sure you are not seeing fresh seeds germinating?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mac - No offense taken. I thought alot of the board members might not know about this. I have been wanting one for years but didnt know the number or size of holes needed to put in the pvc pipe. Some times I have to bite the bullet and pay the price for what I cant do myself. Besides it was a tax deduction:clap3::clap3:

ok 22250

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a fence line I have been spraying for 3 years , multiple times a year . Still have Johnson grass . Also have spoke to the chemical sales rep at Stillwater milling this year. Been fighting this battle for a while .

Latest posts

Top Bottom