window tint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a bunch of whiners. This law has been on the books for as long as I can remember. Any reputable tint shop will tell you this. It directly affects public safety. If you can't see in you can't see out. If you don't a ticket follow the law.

That has to be one of the best statements I have wrote on this forum.

I apologize if the intent of my original post was unclear. The point I was trying to make is that windows can be tinted so dark that they present a public safety issue, both for the general public and law enforcement. The well known standard set by the state happens to be 25%. If your windows are tinted darker than that you are breaking the law, and run the risk of being fined. Why knock law enforcement for enforcing the law? This would be an issue best taken up with your legislator.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The specs don't matter, the meter matters. What it looks like does matter as it's based on visible light transmission aka how dark it is. I own a tint shop and look forward to the increase in business from pulling off and replacing tint. Laws been on the books forever but its been well known that Oklahoma doesn't enforce it. It's not about safety but revenue and pretty genius. Don't enforce a law for 20 years, let the public willfully violate that law and then slam the door, making criminals of the masses. 99% of what we've done has been 20%, darker than the legal limit but what the customer requested. Also, mark my words, if BA sees a big increase in revenue then Tulsa will follow.

I specifically went with the legal tint level. If I were to receive a ticket for illegal tint, the shop would be redoing my tint, for free.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure you have a recipt from the tint installer that lists the percentage of tint. What it looks like is irrelevant to the law, only the specs of the tint matter. I got 3M tint on mine specifically because it looks darker than it really is.

Even better, just get 5% or 15% tint and have them sandwich the little 25% tint Oklahoma legal decal thing in like the did with the tint on the last car I bought. (Obviously 5% tint that certifies that it's 25%... not sure where it came from, it was on it when I bought it.) I don't have any problem seeing with 5% tint, except backing at night... I suspect better backup lights would remedy that though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom