Winter gas bill from hell: Oklahomans face paying $1.4bn over snowstorm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^
I'm with you, Louro. When I saw the quoted price to change out my heat pump it made gas look a lot less attractive. When you consider the fact that the gas heated houses still have to have electricity for fans, lights, hot tub etc., my $185 bill for the utility that does it all doesn't seem so bad.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am actually considering installing one.

I paid $400 for my wood burning insert used.
Country Flame brand.
I stuck a 1/2 seasoned wood log in it last night at 10PM and had coals this morning and it was blowing about 65 degree temps.

I do not have a thermostat on mine.
Removed it and wired a simple fan switch to it so I can adjust the fan speed.

Tiny single fan does not take much energy to spin.
I love this thing so much if I had to pay 1200 for one I would do it.
My rent house next door has one also and i had another one that I loaned to a buddy he said the heat feels different than the central heat .

It feels more comfortable with the wood heat to him.
My aunt has one in her house in Enos OK.

Hers has a catalyst in it as did the one next door to me.

It is very hard to get those to draw. I removed the catalyst in the one I own and it does very well now.

If you do it to save money then do not get a pellet one as you will need to buy pellets.
I do not buy wood EVER! there is wood everywhere you look for free.

I burn dry wood as it will not soot up a chimney Green wood will.

Now onto the NATURAL GAS COSTS.

I have my bill in front of me from September to October -2020 and the cost/DTH = $ 2.957.
........................................................................ October to November -2020 ........................................= $ 3.217.
....................................................................... September to October 2021 .................................... = $ 5.977.
........................................................................ October to November 2021 ...................................... = $ 7.793.
........................................................................ December to January 2022 ........................................ = $ 7.330.

I did get a piece of paper with my bill that stated the price was going up.
Their guess was $ 1.45 per customer and I assume this meant cost per DTH.
Yea it is higher than last year and the year before.

I had a stack of dry wood in November that was just about 6 Tall x 6 wide x 8 foot deep and now it is closer to 2.5 feet tall.

I remember one winter I burned 10 ricks but mind you this is very dry wood with oak, pecan, ash, maple, pine and cedar in it.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt I'm with you. The heat off our insert is SO much more comfortable than the gas heater puts off. The dogs are HYSTERICAL when we have a fire going. They will not stop pestering us to move their beds until they are in front of that brick mantle and then they are worthless as tits on a boar hog. Haha!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I paid $400 for my wood burning insert used.
Country Flame brand.
I stuck a 1/2 seasoned wood log in it last night at 10PM and had coals this morning and it was blowing about 65 degree temps.

I do not have a thermostat on mine.
Removed it and wired a simple fan switch to it so I can adjust the fan speed.

Tiny single fan does not take much energy to spin.
I love this thing so much if I had to pay 1200 for one I would do it.
My rent house next door has one also and i had another one that I loaned to a buddy he said the heat feels different than the central heat .

It feels more comfortable with the wood heat to him.
My aunt has one in her house in Enos OK.

Hers has a catalyst in it as did the one next door to me.

It is very hard to get those to draw. I removed the catalyst in the one I own and it does very well now.

If you do it to save money then do not get a pellet one as you will need to buy pellets.
I do not buy wood EVER! there is wood everywhere you look for free.

I burn dry wood as it will not soot up a chimney Green wood will.

Now onto the NATURAL GAS COSTS.

I have my bill in front of me from September to October -2020 and the cost/DTH = $ 2.957.
........................................................................ October to November -2020 ........................................= $ 3.217.
....................................................................... September to October 2021 .................................... = $ 5.977.
........................................................................ October to November 2021 ...................................... = $ 7.793.
........................................................................ December to January 2022 ........................................ = $ 7.330.

I did get a piece of paper with my bill that stated the price was going up.
Their guess was $ 1.45 per customer and I assume this meant cost per DTH.
Yea it is higher than last year and the year before.

I had a stack of dry wood in November that was just about 6 Tall x 6 wide x 8 foot deep and now it is closer to 2.5 feet tall.

I remember one winter I burned 10 ricks but mind you this is very dry wood with oak, pecan, ash, maple, pine and cedar in it.

Check out these thermoelectric fans. You set them on the heat source and the fan converts the heat to electricity and operate for free.

https://smile.amazon.com/CWLAKON-Op...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am actually considering installing one.
We had our old one that was leaking water and rusted replaced. Chimney issues fixed but now it leaks cold air. That is due to the new requirement to bring in fresh air via a big pipe. We know have to seal it up when not in use….aaarrrgg we used the fireplace place and were extremely unhappy with them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Filled up the propane tank again last week. $2.20/gal

I don't remember what our cost-per-gallon was, but we recently had to have our LPG supply tank filled. If I remember right, it was a bit over $300 dollars, maybe close to $350 for a 250 gallon tank, which was only filled to 85% full. Generally speaking, we can expect to go all year long on two fillings of the tank.

Keep in mind that we live in a 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel, which don't happen to be the best insulated residences around. However, even with less insulation, heating a structure that is less than 400 square feet takes less fuel than if we still lived in a 2250 square foot home with 2x6 studded walls instead of 2x4 walls. Time was, if we had a bigger house than we needed, we could close doors and heating vents to those rooms and save money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom