Winter gas bill from hell: Oklahomans face paying $1.4bn over snowstorm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a wood burning insert in my fireplace.
I have not had Gas heat on in weeks.
I harvest wood during the summer with summer storms breaking trees I usually have plenty to burn.
Piedmont area there are houses being built and on my way home from getting ammo cans from a member here.
I stopped by the new homes being built and asked if I could take some of the trash wood.

The answer was a big yes take all you want.
My Corolla was packed to the gills.
Still burning it.
The wood that is not the Corolla.

Many here do not have the wood burning option.
That would suck.
We have a fireplace in the living room and one in the basement.

This is the second house I lived in that had one in the living room and one in the basement!

First house was one my parents had built, spent my first 21 years at that one!

Have a fire in the fireplace right now, just for fun. Just made some hamburgers with those cast iron campfire hamburger cookers!

9° outside right now, going to -1 tonight!
I have a little more than a cord ready if need be!

Probably another cord ready to round up if I gathered up the piles.

I been burning the gas since October though!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $400 for my wood burning insert used.
Country Flame brand.
I stuck a 1/2 seasoned wood log in it last night at 10PM and had coals this morning and it was blowing about 65 degree temps.

I do not have a thermostat on mine.
Removed it and wired a simple fan switch to it so I can adjust the fan speed.

Tiny single fan does not take much energy to spin.
I love this thing so much if I had to pay 1200 for one I would do it.
My rent house next door has one also and i had another one that I loaned to a buddy he said the heat feels different than the central heat .

It feels more comfortable with the wood heat to him.
My aunt has one in her house in Enos OK.

Hers has a catalyst in it as did the one next door to me.

It is very hard to get those to draw. I removed the catalyst in the one I own and it does very well now.

If you do it to save money then do not get a pellet one as you will need to buy pellets.
I do not buy wood EVER! there is wood everywhere you look for free.

I burn dry wood as it will not soot up a chimney Green wood will.

Now onto the NATURAL GAS COSTS.

I have my bill in front of me from September to October -2020 and the cost/DTH = $ 2.957.
........................................................................ October to November -2020 ........................................= $ 3.217.
....................................................................... September to October 2021 .................................... = $ 5.977.
........................................................................ October to November 2021 ...................................... = $ 7.793.
........................................................................ December to January 2022 ........................................ = $ 7.330.

I did get a piece of paper with my bill that stated the price was going up.
Their guess was $ 1.45 per customer and I assume this meant cost per DTH.
Yea it is higher than last year and the year before.

I had a stack of dry wood in November that was just about 6 Tall x 6 wide x 8 foot deep and now it is closer to 2.5 feet tall.

I remember one winter I burned 10 ricks but mind you this is very dry wood with oak, pecan, ash, maple, pine and cedar in it.
The wood has to come from somewhere! If you have a place where you can cut wood, a good chain saw, a truck to haul it, time to do that, you can save money, but don't forget all these things required to cut your own wood cost money as well! Henry Ford had " Cut your own wood, and it will warm you twice", carved into his fire place mantel, although I seriously doubt he cut all his own wood? I love a wood fire, it's not only feels better, but lifts your spirits on a cold gloomey day! We heated exclusively with wood, and a good efficient wood stove until I got too old, and lazy! I still have a shed full of wood ready for an emergency! The very first thing Biden did on day one in office, is cancel ALL the exutive orders President Trump put in place to make our country energy selfsufficient, for the first time in 50 years. That in effect put OPEC back n charge of setting world oil prices! Bench mark Crude Oil was $32.00 per bbl. on election day, 2020, today it is $86.00 per bbl. thanks soley to that action by Biden, and whom ever is pulling his strings! Natural gas prices, like Crude Oil prices, that had been stable, and cheap, for 4 years, has almost TRIPLED IN ONE YEAR, thanks to this move! Ovcourse this somehow protects the eniroment, RIGHT?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wood has to come from somewhere! If you have a place where you can cut wood, a good chain saw, a truck to haul it, time to do that, you can save money, but don't forget all these things required to cut your own wood cost money as well!

I am a bit thrifty when it comes to collecting my wood for burning.
I clear shooting paths and clear cedars and dead trees on a buddies land and this allows us to have piles of wood for rabbits to hid in.
More rabbits for the dinner table and it allows some good deer and other critter hunting.

I usually drive my car that gets over 30 MPG and it hauls back my firewood I wish to keep.
When I trim trees for people I get paid to do that and I many times keep some of the wood from that.
I got to drive back home and bringing wood is almost like free wood.

I used to collect what Asplund stacked by the road.
All i had way back then was a bow saw and a hatchet and a 1982 Mustang hatch back that got 27 MPG.
I never went too far for that wood.

I have burned a lot of furniture. I have burned clothing and plywood from projects and If I drive past a new house being built I will stop and ask for the trash wood.

When i visit a friend at the mower shop I grab pallets they get in and take those home and cut them up and burn them also.

Big trash in OKC is 1 time a month and lots of wood for the taking.
You do not need a chain saw but some kind of saw will usually be needed.

If you have time to sit and watch TV you have time to collect wood or cut it.
Or build a hot rod.
:)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Pipe baby, pipe" is more like it. Aren't they still flaring it at the wellhead because it's a waste product from oil wells and there's no transportation to get it to market?
Maybe in some areas of west Texas. They aren't in Oklahoma. Plenty of flares, but most that you see are just burning off emissions and gas is being sold down a pipeline.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm older than dirt and forgetful, but didn't the snow storm, and freeze up's they are referring to happen last winter? WHY is this coming up now? Could it be the natural gas industry has the upper hand, right now DUE TO COLD WEATHER? do you think they would face more oppisition if it were 100 degrees out doors? I suspect we haven't seen anything yet! Biden, on day ONE IN OFFICE, canceled ALL President Trumps executive orders, and policies that allowed us to be ENERGY SELF SAFICIANT for the first time in 50+ years, under both parties leadership? This automaticially gave OPEC BACK THE POWER TO SET WORLD CRUDE OIL PRICES AS WELL AS NATURAL GAS PRICES! I can't help but wonder what kind of BRIBE THE BIG MAN GOT FOR THIS? BUT I'M SURE IT EAS FOR OUR OWN GOOD, TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT, DON'T YOU THINK? ACCORDING TO AL GORE, WE ARE ALL ALREADY DEAD, FROM RISING SEA LEVELS, AREN'T WE?

Latest posts

Top Bottom