wireless router question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess it is time for a new one then. sounds like i have gotten lucky with it running 24/7 and not on a surge protector. will try something different this time and see.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had linksys WRT54G for years and then upgraded to e3000 for the heck of it. I run custom firmware tomatousb. Stock firmware is horrible.

I run an e3000 as well, but with DDWRT. I didn't want to get sucked into that whole Cisco cloud BS, and want to use it with openDNS for content filtering when my boy gets old enough to use a computer.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run an e3000 as well, but with DDWRT. I didn't want to get sucked into that whole Cisco cloud BS, and want to use it with openDNS for content filtering when my boy gets old enough to use a computer.

How is the filtering with DDWRT? I grabbed tomato because it had the restriction times. I have wifi shut off at 9pm for the mac address on my sons laptop, xbox and phone but my wife wants filtering setup and tomato is way to complicated for me to care.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need a new router too, after reading these posts I realize that my computer, phones and everything else is picking up an unprotected wifi from the neighbor and mine is not putting out anything.
even a reboot and resetting it a few times has produced a signal that my phone can find.
I have no idea how long this has been going on but **** that is annoying.
Do I have to tell cox when I hook up a new one or just plug it into the modem and go?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is the filtering with DDWRT? I grabbed tomato because it had the restriction times. I have wifi shut off at 9pm for the mac address on my sons laptop, xbox and phone but my wife wants filtering setup and tomato is way to complicated for me to care.

Haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty straightforward. OpenDNS does the content filtering, and you can use the router to selectively enforce the DNS server on certain machines.

Also, DDWRT has access restrictions for restricting internet time on certain clients as well. I've never tried tomato, I just use DDWRT because that's what I've always used on past routers, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom