wireless router question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez us, running 8-10 year old routers, that's gotta be a huge bottleneck in your internet service

How so? 54Mbps throughput locally is significantly more than my 3Mbps Internet connection.

Also, my oldest router has more RAM than my newest and theoretically handles more simultaneous connections.

Unless you've got fiber, it is extremely unlikely that your router is a bottleneck.

If you've got fiber access and 40+ acres available nearby, I might be in the market.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use Cox for internet at home and when I wanted a new wireless router I just bought a NetGear WR from their store on 51st St and it has run flawless ever since with a house full of people using various wireless devices.

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Microwave ovens and cordless home telephones will play hob with your wifi too, especially if the router is plugged into the same circuit breaker.

If you're on a Mac theres a great app called iStumbler which will let you see what channels your network is using, and what your neighbors are using. Changing the channel on the router solved all my network issues and extended the range to the entire house.

usmcvet9803

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
for general in home use. what is the average life span one can expect? Am on the second one in 8 years and think i may have to replace it because i have tried everything i can think of and it still does not work.

Any suggestions/insight?

They have both been netgear products.

Thanks

I use NetGear as well ( I have a buddy who is a network engineer for HP and that is what he suggested). I doubt you can expect to get more than 4 years out of a router( I only seam to get 3 tops), At some point the manufacturer quits providing Mal-ware/software updates and after that it is only a matter of time..

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Microwave ovens and cordless home telephones will play hob with your wifi too, especially if the router is plugged into the same circuit breaker.

If you're on a Mac theres a great app called iStumbler which will let you see what channels your network is using, and what your neighbors are using. Changing the channel on the router solved all my network issues and extended the range to the entire house.

For the original version, http://www.netstumbler.com/

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How so? 54Mbps throughput locally is significantly more than my 3Mbps Internet connection.

Also, my oldest router has more RAM than my newest and theoretically handles more simultaneous connections.

Unless you've got fiber, it is extremely unlikely that your router is a bottleneck.

If you've got fiber access and 40+ acres available nearby, I might be in the market.

Yes, I do but no there is not haha. I sometimes forget most people just use internet to browse web pages and check their email

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its an overheat issue. make sure it has plenty of ventilation.

dont put anything on top of it, dont lay it on carpet.

put a fan on it and it'll last till the stars burn out. i use an air purifier, safer than a standard fan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom