wireless router question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Linksys wireless was awesome! They provided regular updates, had great technical support...then they got bought by Cisco. So Cisco of course had to treat them like high end router and switch code equipment. You only get support if you are paying high dollar maintenance fees.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Linksys wireless was awesome! They provided regular updates, had great technical support...then they got bought by Cisco. So Cisco of course had to treat them like high end router and switch code equipment. You only get support if you are paying high dollar maintenance fees.

cisco sold linksys to belkin

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any number of routers should work for you, if you're an average user, on just a couple devices, who browses the internet, checks email, and maybe streams videos from Netflix a couple times a week. After obtaining a reliable router that fits your needs and budget, the most important thing is setting yourself up with a secure network. There are a number of walkthroughs on the net explaining what's required to harden your wifi. If you'd rather ask someone you trust, or if it all might as well be written in German, then a number of us could help you out. Minus the cost of the router itself, this can all be done at no cost.

I went with an Asus N-56U last year and I absolutely love this router. The native options and stock firmware are great and give plenty of options, but there's also an array of custom firmwares similar to the idea of dd-wrt, though at this time, no actual dd-wrt. That's OK, as I'm still testing out different firmwares. The first one I tried I absolutely LOVED the GUI and the performance, but my router wouldn't last 1 week before requiring a reboot, and the one I'm on right now (I'm at work or I'd be able to tell you what it is) has been fantastic. The physical range and coverage has been consistent on both bands. On all devices (2 Kindle Fires, 2 Laptops, and 2 cell phones) I'm obtaining higher speeds than advertised through my selected Cox package still using the old Motorola Surfboard [whatever model #] DOCSIS 1.0/2.0 modem, though this isn't uncommon across many hardware configurations, but it's still cool to get more than what you pay for.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
decided to go with the ASUS RT-N65R. probably way more than what i need but i have tended to start going for overkill on quite a few things lately.
thanks for all the good adive and suggestions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom