Workbench / Peg-board / Tool Chest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just moved in to the new place, and I realized that my old crappy built-in-the-wall work bench and cabinets/pegboard system that can't move with me to the new place are all sorely missed.

I don't have the time/space/tools (that I can get to - they're all in storage) to make a work-bench so I'm looking at pre-made ones. I don't need too much space as most of my projects are small and involve guns/knives but I do want a little piece of the garage that I can use for projects when I need to.

Right now, the Stainless Kobalt bench at Lowes looks a tad small for what I need, and the table-top is a tad thin (though I can upgrade that later) but otherwise it's perfect. I kind of want something with a light/pegboard, but I realize space is cramped and most benches that allow for a pegboard mount usually have a bit of mounting hardware behind them, so the pegboard is probably going to get mounted to the wall to save me the few inches I need.

Home Depot seems to have the best deals on Pegboard kits (Harbor Freight seems to have all the little odds/ends, but for actual metal Pegboards, HD seems to have the best deals - I'm liking the Wall Control kits with slots/holes).

Seems like the best work benches out there are at Sears. They have a pretty good variety to choose from and the height is perfect and the materials seem to allow you to pick/choose something that is perfect for your needs.

Anyone know of anything better than the Sears work-benches?

Also, I'm looking at the US General Pro 8+8 Roller Cabinet (at Harbor Freight). I'll be honest, aside from the big-boy stainless Kobalt at lowes, or the higher end stuff like Snap-On, etc, I couldn't find anything out there that seemed as solid for anywhere near the money.

They seem to get overwhelmingly positive reviews and after going back and forth from Harbor Freight to Sears and playing with both cabinets, I could genuinely tell the difference in quality of the US General over the Craftsman. What the hell happened to Craftsman's "Pro-series" roller-chests?

I'm trying to do my research and only buy once - anyone got any suggestions?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to buy those gov/milsurp heavy metal desks. They were a six or so feet wide, three or so deep. Rarely cost more than forty bucks. Made for a super stable reloading playform.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can get into Sams club I saw a pretty nice work bench, cabnets and accessories for a garage set up while I was waiting for tires the other day. Didn't check prices as I didn't need anything but might be an option for something quick.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up the roll-around tool chest from Harbor Freight - this is a screaming deal and so far, it's extremely impressive.

I took a look at the Sam's Club work bench and it just wasn't what I was looking for - I appreciate the info though, I had not thought to look there and each work bench I look at gives me new ideas. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Sears standard Craftsman Work Bench . I'm not sure it's worth upgrading to the pro-version, but I'll probably upgrade the top to Butcher-Block from the standard MDF.

Here's a pic of the standard Craftsman workbench with MDF top:

c_shld_net_rpx_i_s_i_spin_image_spin_prod_228731001_e126c3e8239ad8ad1bb30492f0354235._.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Windsor work benches in harbor freight are very sturdy from the reports I've got. Wood top and legs with a drawer and a wood vice is included. I know two people that have Dillon 650's on them, and love it.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to mention that the cheaper benches like in your picture does have the MDF or IMO the cheap surface so what I did afterni purchased my bench I went to habitat for humanity and bought about an 8 foot section of formica countertop and just attached it to my exisiting MDF board with the section in the back that rolls up and keeps things from rolling off the back and it has been great... next time though I am going to buy a couple lower cabinets and the counter top and make my own....
--Mech

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to mention that the cheaper benches like in your picture does have the MDF or IMO the cheap surface so what I did afterni purchased my bench I went to habitat for humanity and bought about an 8 foot section of formica countertop and just attached it to my exisiting MDF board with the section in the back that rolls up and keeps things from rolling off the back and it has been great... next time though I am going to buy a couple lower cabinets and the counter top and make my own....
--Mech

Yeah, but the Craftsman benches are "build your own" so you pick the frame, then the surface, then add drawers/peg-board back if you want.

I can upgrade to Butcher-block for around $80 more (Oak I believe) from sears when purchasing. I totally agree with the MDF though man, I really didn't want that.

I appreciate the offer TurnedTurtle but I'm not coming up that way anytime soon and won't be able to haul it back.

Dennis I did stare long and hard at the Windsor bench at Harbor Freight, but it wasn't tall enough, and the drawers on the one I checked out felt like someone had glued them into the bench. I also think I want metal side-legs so I can stick magnetic stuff to it. That one was a heck of a deal though - solid bench with a very heavy top.

Last edited:

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got two that I dough from Atwoods. They are pretty heavy duty and are plenty roomy (3 by 6 I think, I'm not in postion to measure it). I know it a heavy beast. I have reloaders (shotgun) mounted on one and a 4" vice and about 500# ammon on top of the other one. They have one drawer about 14 x 16, and a bottom shelf.

I think they are around $180 but it's been a while. I'm a no welding son of a gun, so these looked like the best option for me. I can't find a link to them.

They are steel top with about a 3" backboard all the way around. I think the steel is around 10 gauge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom