Zero Turns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought a Cub Cadet ZTR several years ago, and it's been a pretty good mower. It has a steering wheel instead of the steering levers, the big advantage is it steers through the front wheels so you can use it on sloped ground. The mower deck is the weak link, there are some reinforcement rings you can get for where the spindles attach, you can install them pro-actively and prevent them from pulling loose, or repair if it's already broke.
John Deere has one like that too, Just FYI cub is owned by MTD

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
John Deere has one like that too, Just FYI cub is owned by MTD

Nothing wrong with MTD, they own many brands of mowers. Cub is considered their flagship line, and is run independently of other brands, including having their own dedicated service and sales centers.

One good thing with MTD is parts often cross over brands and interchange.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a Bad Boy, zero turn that I have used 11 years, on about a one acre lawn. I looked around quite a bit, and for the money went with Bad Boy. They are heaver built than anything in the price range, especially the mower deck, are built in Arkansas, well designed, and most parts are available on amazon, at a better price. I was going to replace it last year and had picked out a Kobota mower, it cost quite a bit more than the same size Bad Boy, but was really well built! But Kobota parts are only avalable at the dealer at a much higher price. I'm 76 years old I think, and was wondering how many times I could have my lawn mowed, and trimed, for the price of this mower, and all the parts, and supplies, it would take. The answer was 8 years, by which time I would need a to replace this mower not to mention a trimmer! So now I just set by the window inside the AC, and watch them mow and try and think of something clever to say on here! That has worked out well so far! They come take care of the lawn even when we are out of town!

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bush hog. It is the Estate series. Bought it new May 2008. Honda 20 hp. Other than blades have probably spent less than $300 on repairs (belts, battery once each couple of bushings and one pulley). Mowed six acres every week from April to October from 08 to 12, then five from 13 to 16, now just two. Any name brand should be good. Make sure to get welded deck, will last much longer and are just tougher built. Like others have said, nix the grass catcher. Biggest drawback to any zero turn is that they are rough riding.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a Scag for 8 years now, mowing about 12 acres every 2-3 weeks. Lots of small branches etc. No issues what so ever. Pricey but well worth it!!

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for feedback, man these things have gotten pricey. We are moving and I've got quite a bit more "yard" and a ton of trees. So I need a bagging solution too. Need the deck and whatever attachment to fit through a 46" opening. I've been to a few equipment dealers and there's lots of names out there I've never heard of.
I just bought a 61” spartan, I’ve always had Dixie choppers, no comparison, the spartan is like I’m flying a F-22 raptor, love this thing. I don’t have a bagger.

Attachments

• E3F13F48-BB59-4176-87CA-FE748BA0CDEC.jpeg
    E3F13F48-BB59-4176-87CA-FE748BA0CDEC.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading some of these post, I for one am overjoyed that we live in such a priosperous socity, that ordanery people can afford mowers like this, to mow their several hundred thousand dollar lawns! America is not a bad place to live, no matter what the leftwingnuts, and their lap dog news media., tell us to think! If you think America is not better than any other country on earth, you obviously haven't been to any of them!

Latest posts

Top Bottom