Zero Turns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if l was going to buy another zero turn l would look at a small Ferris with the suspension system to take the bumps and shocks out of mowing to keep my old back from screaming at me
I've got a Ferris and I'm disappointed in the suspension. You have to spend the big bucks to get the real independent front suspension; mine has what I call a pivoting beam front end and it's not really suspension.
My yard has some really rough spots, even at a fast walking pace sometimes it will bounce the front wheels off the ground. I have to slow to a crawl in those areas.
The rear suspension is so stiff (on the softest setting) that I can't tell it's doing anything at all.

Other than that it's been a good mower.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Ferris and I'm disappointed in the suspension. You have to spend the big bucks to get the real independent front suspension; mine has what I call a pivoting beam front end and it's not really suspension.
My yard has some really rough spots, even at a fast walking pace sometimes it will bounce the front wheels off the ground. I have to slow to a crawl in those areas.
The rear suspension is so stiff (on the softest setting) that I can't tell it's doing anything at all.

Well nuts l have heard they work good. Does mower size make any difference

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on my second Cub Cadet zero turn, first one I bought new in 2005, finally wore out the deck linkage tabs, still runs good, starting to use a little oil and mows a little unlevel, still usable. Bought another Cub last summer, no issues. Just from past experience with fescue and leaves, you can't beat a Walker. Here's one at auction, see if you can buy it cheap and have it serviced. Prob just old gas and gummed carb. It's not very far from me. I've been around several Walkers and they are legit, just more $$ than I need to spend on what I have to mow. I know it's 50", but a steal on a Walker is worth it regardless. They do make smaller decks as well, and they are interchangeable.

https://lippardauctions.hibid.com/catalog/376431/7-15-mark-klein-and-choate-auction/

The newest version of that particular model is 12K. It is a steal, gonna keep an eye on it. Thank you.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that bagging deal. Sounds good at first but it’s just never works out. Mow often like your supposed to and you’ll never have a problem. Good for the grass too. For leaves just get a good backpack leaf blower and blow em into a corner and run over it a bunch w the mover. Even better is if you can burn em.

I definitely wouldn't bag the grass, just figured it would be easier for the leaves. However, you're right about the backpack. I figured one option was to blow them out to the curb and pay someone to pick them up. Otherwise not sure how well the Fescue will take mulching.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
need the bagger for leaves.
Not really. I have 45 trees in our three acre +\_ yard.
In the fall, leaves look like ocean waves across the yard depending on wind direction.
I just mow in the fall with the deck up to do a rough chop on the leaves, then another mow with the deck low always mowing toward the center.
By the time I get to the last pass, the leaves are mostly dust.
Bad Boy that is bigger than your looking for though.
11 year lifespan so far with one belt replaced.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d build a wider gate opening and get a 52” deck minimum. I have a Gravely that was purchased in’94. Poor thing didn’t get much love in life. I replaced the engine 6 years ago and have gone through a metric crap ton of blades over the years. (Dang gophers!)

Last couple of years I have looked hard at new ZTs, but mine still cuts like a champ and for the price of a new one I can keep mine going another thirty years. When I hit 90 I’m going to let someone else take over the mowing and weed eating.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Model #?

I bought an isx 800 this Spring. It’s okay so far.

It was over 9k though, which I guess ain’t so bad. A couple weeks ago I was in Country Equipment and they had a Scag with suspension for 14k & a Kubota for 26k. I’m always gonna be out on a $26,000 mower. Always.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Model #?

I bought an isx 800 this Spring. It’s okay so far.

It was over 9k though, which I guess ain’t so bad. A couple weeks ago I was in Country Equipment and they had a Scag with suspension for 14k & a Kubota for 26k. I’m always gonna be out on a $26,000 mower. Always.
Model is IS700Z, I paid $6500 in 2015, couldn't believe I was paying that much for a lawn mower, but it beats the lawn tractor style mower I had before.

Looks like yours has the real independent front suspension, I'm a little envious, but not enough to buy a new mower. 😁

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d build a wider gate opening and get a 52” deck minimum. I have a Gravely that was purchased in’94. Poor thing didn’t get much love in life. I replaced the engine 6 years ago and have gone through a metric crap ton of blades over the years. (Dang gophers!)

Last couple of years I have looked hard at new ZTs, but mine still cuts like a champ and for the price of a new one I can keep mine going another thirty years. When I hit 90 I’m going to let someone else take over the mowing and weed eating.

It's a wrought iron fence, so gonna pass on making the gate larger. There are some tight spaces between trees too, so 42 is gonna be my max I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom