Zombie's on the history channel( And Bugging out )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some things I noticed in the show:

Magpul/3gun thumb-over-bore support hand grip on an AR-15

A typo when they showed the M4, they wrote "M41A". The M41A is the pulse rifle from Aliens. I'm pretty sure they meant "M4A1," but since they were talking about semi-auto rifles, they should have wrote AR-15. Although AR-15 is probably copyrighted by Colt or Armalite.

The 9mm ammo only at police or mil locations as noted above. WTF? I get all my 9mm at Walmart. Any gun store or range will have .223/5.56, 9mm, 22LR, and maybe 12ga.

I think a suppressed 22LR is the best; since shot placement matters and a 22LR will go through the head of a zombie, I think the quietest and lightest round is the best. Since you can carry 1000+ rds of 22LR without any problems at all, it's probably the ideal round.

As they noted; if you're prepared for zombies, you're prepared for anything. Zombies are a fun excuse to prepare for natural disasters and civil unrest. But also as they noted, if there's even a 0.0001% chance of it happening, it's probably worth considering because it means the end of civilization.

Also, a lot of Max Brooks' comments were repeated from another documentary on zombies he was a part of. I just saw it on Netflix like 2 days ago and one of his comments was almost word-for-word the same, I think it was the samurai swords are for samurai comment. But in any case, Max Brooks is awesome.

I liked watching the gun expert on "how to kill a zombie," was that your friend J.L. Bourne? He had very precise and deliberate movements that showed many countless hours of practice.

I didn't think doing a take down on a zombie was a good idea unless absolutely necessary (no weapons, no maneuver room, no other exits, no friends). They mentioned several times that a single zombie is not a threat; they had a guy eating a donut or something and just walk around a zombie, which made me laugh. The real threat is a bunch of zombies, so going for a take down makes you vulnerable to all the others. There was this youtube video series a while back on how to survive a zombie apocalypse where they said to defeat a single zombie, rip off its arm and beat it to death with it. Was very tongue in cheek, but the idea was that a single zombie is not much of a threat. Unless we're talking about the "mutant" zombies from Resident Evil / Left 4 Dead / We're Alive, running zombies which may just overpower you, or smart zombies like in many shows. But a single Romero zombie is a joke.

I really liked how they mentioned that to survive the post-apocalyptic world, you may have to think like an insurgent. Breaking and entering, stealing, and other things are a necessary evil for survival. That and bugging in are probably the two best pieces of advice. Oh also that the rambos will probably die first. It's more like Survivor Man and less like Mad Max. But without guns, might will make right, and those without firepower (or without protection from other people with firepower) will be prey to other humans, which is another good point they made that a lot of bad zombie fiction just doesn't get; the real threat is the environment and other people, zombies are just in the background. In the classic fiction archetypes, zombies are more of a "man vs nature" type of story.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bud J.L. Bourne was on last night as well. He actually had some pretty good info to share.

BW

Do you really know him? If so, find out when his 3rd book is coming out! I did like his idea of putting plastic bags in your bug out bag. For some reason, I never thought of that.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I just typed a big long response and it got deleted.

No the guy on the in between segments was not J.L. that was an instructor from http://www.facebook.com/GreyGroupTraining

J.L. was the solo survivor walking around showing you how to survive and find water. he was wearing a hat in those segments and carrying a M4. he also did some commentary talking about survival techniques.

on the book sometime mid 2012 is all I have gotten out of him.

Yes I would consider him a friend. we have never met ftf but talked many times and he has promoted my survival and prep company for me on a few occasions. www.planboutfitters.net

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I just typed a big long response and it got deleted.

No the guy on the in between segments was not J.L. that was an instructor from http://www.facebook.com/GreyGroupTraining

J.L. was the solo survivor walking around showing you how to survive and find water. he was wearing a hat in those segments and carrying a M4. he also did some commentary talking about survival techniques.

on the book sometime mid 2012 is all I have gotten out of him.

Yes I would consider him a friend. we have never met ftf but talked many times and he has promoted my survival and prep company for me on a few occasions. www.planboutfitters.net

Oh he wrote day by day armageddon. I actually read that book in 2009 (I think it was); for some reason it perfectly matched up days with the book, so I read the corresponding day on that day to get a better feel for the time difference. Was pretty fun to do it that way, but was hard to keep my interested only reading a paragraph or so some days.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I 'still' don't understand this focus on Zombies ..... I just don't get it ...... :(

I'm with you there. Maybe part of it is being close to Halloween, but the 24/7 obsession with zombies is bizarre. I have been extremely disappointed in the History Channel over the past few years. Shows like Ancient Aliens, Ice Road Truckers, and Pseudo-documentaries on zombies do not belong on a channel dedicated to history. Sure, you can only have so many shows about the SS but come on. There needs to be an Occupation Channel. rant over.

Could someone explain to me why this is such a major deal now? Seriously, I would like to get a few opinions.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so let me get this straight....you don't think that Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Zombie apocolypse, and Ancient Aliens should be on history. What do you think is their highest rated shows on History channel? Hello, it's about being profitable.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so let me get this straight....you don't think that Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Zombie apocolypse, and Ancient Aliens should be on history. What do you think is their highest rated shows on History channel? Hello, it's about being profitable.

What dos it have to do with History? And don't say history is made everyday! :)

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just pointing out the reason that they have these shows on their channel. They get people to watch. Watching means more money that they can charge for commercials. That's how they make a prrofit. Pretty simple really.

Latest posts

Top Bottom