Is it hunting season yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I go in with leather gloves, a ball cap in one hand, and a can of wasp spray in the other. I've knocked out some red wasp nests that were the size of a dinner plate on several occasions. Only had to bail out once.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked mine today ... all clear. Mine is pretty much 'air tight.' Went to great expense and trouble to make it that way. I have had a wasp's nest built on the underside of the shack, but nothing inside yet. I've killed a few stray wasps inside over the years, but only a few.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked mine today ... all clear. Mine is pretty much 'air tight.' Went to great expense and trouble to make it that way. I have had a wasp's nest built on the underside of the shack, but nothing inside yet. I've killed a few stray wasps inside over the years, but only a few.
I built mine wasp tite as well, but it left me a blind spot where the door was. Cut 1/2" off the top of the door to give a slit to look NE. I duct tape it after season, but it always falls off by fall.
Those little black spiders are really pesky as well. They live in a little bundle of web and go out to spin webs everywhere.
Hate getting in there before daylight to a face full of webs.

Last edited:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go into my shooting house after dark with a red shield over my flashlight and a pump up sprayer loaded with soapy water and hose down the wasps. Wasps do not see red and remain docile until I spray them with Dawn and water. It immediately starts raining wasps. The Dawn encapsulates them with soap and they suffocate. Never fails and is a heck of alot cheaper. 2 healthy squirts of dawn in a gallon of water. I have done the same on my feeders, just spray it up the bottom hole.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I go into my shooting house after dark with a red shield over my flashlight and a pump up sprayer loaded with soapy water and hose down the wasps. Wasps do not see red and remain docile until I spray them with Dawn and water. It immediately starts raining wasps. The Dawn encapsulates them with soap and they suffocate. Never fails and is a heck of alot cheaper. 2 healthy squirts of dawn in a gallon of water. I have done the same on my feeders, just spray it up the bottom hole.

That doesn't sound very exciting though :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom