Smoked Brisket Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CY that smoker will probably last 1000 years! Dammit man, that thing is awesome! Almost makes me want to buy a welder.

thanks .. sure wish I could say that I welded it .. but it was a Craigslist score.
someone really knew that they were doing fabbing up this reverse flow smoker.

holds temp well with even heat across the entire cooking zone.
takes about an hour to get up to cooking temps.
wood has to burn hot enough to reach clean heat zone without excess smoke before adding meat.

I'll let temps reach about 450f .. then start to close down intake and exhaust .. then meat is added to bring temps down to desired 250f to 275f zone.

when smoking with wood, no charcoal .. it's necessary to get fire hot enough to burn off bark, etc to where fire is barely putting out smoke before adding meat. otherwise meat will get too much smoke. especially when doing 10hour+ burns without wrapping your meat.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks .. sure wish I could say that I welded it .. but it was a Craigslist score.
someone really knew that they were doing fabbing up this reverse flow smoker.

holds temp well with even heat across the entire cooking zone.
takes about an hour to get up to cooking temps.
wood has to burn hot enough to reach clean heat zone without excess smoke before adding meat.

I'll let temps reach about 450f .. then start to close down intake and exhaust .. then meat is added to bring temps down to desired 250f to 275f zone.

when smoking with wood, no charcoal .. it's necessary to get fire hot enough to burn off bark, etc to where fire is barely putting out smoke before adding meat. otherwise meat will get too much smoke. especially when doing 10hour+ burns without wrapping your meat.

Most folks don't realize that unless you let the VOCs burn off your fuel you are getting a heavy acrid bitter smoke. The smoke will tell you when it's ready. My BGE goes from roiling white smoke to a light blueish wisp. Then it's ready. I never soak my wood chunks for this very reason, if you need to add more just add more. I use only hardwood lump charcoal in mine, but if I had a stick burner I'd be in the woods with a chainsaw keeping a 2 year supply to make sure it was seasoned.

I'm going to yank a rack of ribs out of the freezer now. You got me wanting BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great! That cooker will hold the heat for sure.
This thread got me hungry for a brisket. Haven't done one since the beef prices started going up. HOLY CRAP! $6.99 per lb for a brisket flat?
Choice ribeye was $6.89.
I'm guessing the .99 per pound for a full brisket days are over.

I've been doing a lot of chuck roasts lately for this reason. I get a couple pretty big ones in a 2 pack at Sams for about $20.

Look up "pepper stout beef" on the egghead forum. It's marvelous! And it's easy to change up as your mood dictates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of chuck roasts lately for this reason. I get a couple pretty big ones in a 2 pack at Sams for about $20.

Look up "pepper stout beef" on the egghead forum. It's marvelous! And it's easy to change up as your mood dictates.

Just looked that up. Looks great!
I was digging around the freezer and found a corned beef flat. I may use this recipe with that cut and see how it turns out.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking heavy duty smoker, looks like it does the job also. I need to get back to smokin' , used to do it every weekend...

thanks .. used to smoke a lot more too. but getting fat so diets and smoking don't go together so good :D

got way too many smokers hanging around ..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That pepper stout beef kicks butt! Just know how to cook it so it's not tough. Took me a couple of tries and I nailed it on the second.

Basically, indirect low and slow smoke it heavily until you hit 165 degrees internal. Then put it in the pan with the onions, peppers and whatever you add. I use an aluminum disposable pan that I get at Sams but a cast iron dutch oven works fabulously too. The key is the liquid, add some! A bottle of beer in a broiler pan is good. Foil the pan tightly (or use the CI lid) and put back in or you can finish it in the oven. I use the aluminum mainly so I can seal it good and still leave my thermometer probe in but it's also nice to just chuck the pan when done. I'm too full and don't feel like scrubbing and oiling my CI! Take it up to 195 internal and start checking for tenderness after that point. When it gets close uncover it and keep cooking to reduce the liquid. You'll probably be around 205 degrees internal when it's ready. When it's done just pull/shred it it all together pulling out the big chunks of fat, it'll just fall apart if you nailed it. 250 to 275 is where I run my egg when doing this one. I probably keep a half dozen roasts in the freezer since discovering this dish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom