Smoked Brisket Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just looked that up. Looks great!
I was digging around the freezer and found a corned beef flat. I may use this recipe with that cut and see how it turns out.

If you like corned beef it'll be good. I can eat it once in awhile but not a huge fan of CB in general. This is probably a better way than the crock pot that I usually use on it though, might have give it a go. Good idea!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just got back from Aldi in Broken Arrow ... found some nice meaty ribs for $1.79lb.
looks like Sam's is getting greedy at $2.98lb on top of charging a hefty annual membership fee.

DSC06884.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
End up similar to Pastrami?

You know I didn't put 2 n 2 together but it is basically exactly pastrami. I do eat the hell out of pastrami sandwiches! I went and looked it up and smoking is almost the only difference. Corned beef is usually brined and fully cooked by brazing and pastrami is usually dry cured, smoked and brazed. I bet if you rinse that brine off and smoke the hell out of it before brazing you couldn't tell a difference.

Go do it and report back! I may have to pick up some of the CB flats for the freezer, they didn't used to be terribly expensive, but it's been awhile since I looked at them. :mosh:

Edit: Check this out. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know I didn't put 2 n 2 together but it is basically exactly pastrami. I do eat the hell out of pastrami sandwiches! I went and looked it up and smoking is almost the only difference. Corned beef is usually brined and fully cooked by brazing and pastrami is usually dry cured, smoked and brazed. I bet if you rinse that brine off and smoke the hell out of it before brazing you couldn't tell a difference.

Go do it and report back! I may have to pick up some of the CB flats for the freezer, they didn't used to be terribly expensive, but it's been awhile since I looked at them. :mosh:

Edit: Check this out. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

I picked up a big thick chuck roast today, but I'm tossed on using the Corned Beef. The CB flats are much cheaper than the brisket flats right now evidently because a lot of folks don't like Corned Beef. Might head out to the freezer and get it out to thaw tonight. I'm staying home tomorrow. Good day for cooking.

Edit: Not a big fan of that websites glaze. I'll pass on that, but love the rest of the ideas. Might corn the chuck roast down the road, but I've got the corned beef flat out to thaw.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a big thick chuck roast today, but I'm tossed on using the Corned Beef. The CB flats are much cheaper than the brisket flats right now evidently because a lot of folks don't like Corned Beef. Might head out to the freezer and get it out to thaw tonight. I'm staying home tomorrow. Good day for cooking.

Edit: Not a big fan of that websites glaze. I'll pass on that, but love the rest of the ideas. Might corn the chuck roast down the road, but I've got the corned beef flat out to thaw.

Yea I'm with you on the glaze. And I seem to remember that they were cheap in the prepackaged flats with the little spice pack. I asked the wife and she didn't know what they were running these days either. I'm going to go look for some tomorrow.

When I left commiefornia on my last night there they took me out to a sports bar that they said had an awesome pastrami sandwich. Damned if they weren't right, that sucker probably had a pound on it, it was piled high. That's the one redeeming thing about that place, good food was everywhere!

I could put about 4 of those flats on the egg real easy and slice them up thin and freeze in a foodsaver bag. Lot's of lunchmeat!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I'm with you on the glaze. And I seem to remember that they were cheap in the prepackaged flats with the little spice pack. I asked the wife and she didn't know what they were running these days either. I'm going to go look for some tomorrow.

When I left commiefornia on my last night there they took me out to a sports bar that they said had an awesome pastrami sandwich. Damned if they weren't right, that sucker probably had a pound on it, it was piled high. That's the one redeeming thing about that place, good food was everywhere!

I could put about 4 of those flats on the egg real easy and slice them up thin and freeze in a foodsaver bag. Lot's of lunchmeat!
Bought our corned beef at Costco in Wichita. Great big one. Sliced it into 3lb slabs and vacuum packed. First two slabs went into CB and Cabbage. This one going to the smoker tomorrow for the dark beer and veggi's.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So are you soaking it? Or just rinsing and throwing it on? I think I'll soak one overnight and see if tames down a little.

CB and Cabbage is what really turned me off of CB. It was just nasty. Evidently I can only do cabbage if it's very lightly cooked (still has a touch of crunch) with a lot of bacon. Raw is GTG. Same with spinach, has to be raw. Cooked is a complete no go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom