Tulsa Traffic Sucks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i live right down the road from the new HELL known as 51st and Harvard. no matter which direction i am put into construction. south on Lewis there is construction, east is the mess on 51st. west is a dead end. only real option is north and the roads are so narrow down lewis im afraid a non licensed/insured illegal immigrant will side swipe me.

i agree with having more than one company or more than one shift working on the mess at 51st and harvard. if they had two different crews going or even 3 round the clock, it would get done sooooo much faster.

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coming from Louisiana - I can honestly say I think Oklahoma traffic / construction is officially worst than the WORST state around - Louisiana

Man I hate the CONSTANT construction - it never seems like it does any good - nothing gets better....

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but the absolute worst is Chicago. I had to drive 8.1 miles the other day, and my GPS told me the arrival time was 52 minutes, it was wrong, 1 hour and 13 minutes later, I made it. Up here, my 32 mile drive takes me 2 hours and 7 minutes. I will not complain about Tulsa traffic again.....

I grew up there. The Ike during rush hour is Hell on Earth.

When people complain about Tulsa traffic I giggle a little bit. It has something like the 2nd shortest average commute of any city in the country.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Driving around Tulsa and the road construction isnt that bad.

For the last 7 years or so once a month I drive from the Tulsa area to the Des Moines,Iowa area;then while in Des Moines as my base in the summer and fall my band travels all over the place north,east,west,south,etcetc. Every quarter or so I drive from either Des Moines to northern California on I-80 to my place there; or from Tulsa to southern California on I-40,spend some time in LA with my sis, then head over to the bay area and check on my brother,then go up to my place in central/northern California; then from there back to either Tulsa or Des Moines, and from Des Moines back to Tulsa.

In all my travels in the US, Kansas City has consistently had the worst traffic and construction problems of any place I go;even though Salt Lake City and Des Moines are close behind.

Dallas drivers at rush hour are maniacs (the 'Spurs' always crack me up in Texas...);Austin drivers are cool;Houston at rush hour is bring a book. Los Angeles drivers are pro's- they get it,they know how to be patient in traffic even though they arent necessarily more courteous. Going from San Jose to San Francisco during rush hour is kind of lazy some times. Modesto is always under construction kind of like Tulsa even though its smaller. I think the east coast has always been pretty decent driving when Ive been there,except I get lost as **** in NYC and my big sis who lives there always has always had to rescue me. Miami Beach has always seemed to have decent traffic,as well as New Orleans even though I havent driven much either place just ridden. The times Ive been to Hawaii,driving around Honolulu seemed really laid back. I have been to Chicago,Atlanta manymany times and never had many problems. Indianapolis to St Louis,Springfield and on to Tulsa is as boring a drive as from Omaha,Ne to Cheyenne,Wy. Ive been to Europe three times as an adult and neither time did I do much if any driving except once my sis let me drive between Cambridge and London on one trip to say I had done it,and on another trip my German ex her Oma let me drive around in the country a little to also just say I did. I dont remember there being any major problems with construction in the bigger cities in Europe but the roads didnt seem all that good either, and other drivers seemed pretty cool except the taxi drivers in Paris are retarded. We traveled all over Italy with my exes cousin and had a blast.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any (real/actual/serious) insight as to why the road construction situation in Tulsa is so awful? I have wracked my brain and can't imagine any situation that would permit so many crippling construction projects to be allowed in one city at any given time.

Utter incompetence. There's not a road construction crew working in Oklahoma that knows a damned thing about how to build or repair a road properly. Remember when they resurfaced Hwy 169 a couple of years ago, only to cut huge sections out within 6 months and redo them? Now it looks like crap and is just as rough as it was before they redid it. The new sections of the IDL suck as well. You're bouncing up and down like your shocks are shot (which they likely are due to the horrible pavement in Tulsa). They resurfaced 169 to Owasso a few years ago and immediately it had a rumble strip IN the fast lane just South of 76th St. N.

My only question is whether they're really as stupid as they all seem, or if it's planned incompetence to ensure decades of repeat work? How much corruption is involved? If someone came to me with a resume that included supervisory or management experience with ODOT, they would be rejected automatically. ODOT needs to be completely gutted and restaffed from out of state, with competent people where they know how to build a road and manage multiple construction projects at one time. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom