Trail Cam Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my own land to hunt now so I need to set up a cam or two. Can anyone recommend me a good brand/model? I'm looking to spend between 80-90 but can go a little higher if need be.

Also when setting a cam out, what should I look for before setting it up? I'm learning as I go. Hopefully I can manage to get something this year!

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had good luck so far with the Bushnell Trophy cams 5mp, not the greatest nighttime pictures but good enough and they run on AA batteries, and the battery life is unbelievable. I had one of the cameras out for a full year and never had to change the batteries. I got mine online on sale from Natchez Shooters Supplies for around $130. I've had Moultries too but the one I had just ate the D batteries, they would last about two weeks max, but the pictures were excellent. There are alot of good cameras out there, there are a couple of trail cam review sites, chasinggame.com and trailcampro.com, that have reviews on a bunch of the cameras out there.

When setting mine up I either place it on a well used trail, mineral site or a feeder. Oh and try not to face it east/west if you can, the sun can ruin alot of pictures! Good luck

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the bushnell trophy cam! Can't beat em. The night pictures could be better but they are the most dependable camera on the market. I would stay away from anything that takes D batteries. I've noticed they have gone up in price considerably since last deer season. I'm a big fan of the moultrie m80's, I've got 3 of them and haven't had a problem yet. They run on AA's and have the best night pics. They will start going on sale for about $110 when the season gets here. Cuddebacks used to be good but are pure junk now!

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned several and BY FAR the best has been the Bushnell. We are using them in the field scan mode, taking a 3meg pix pic every 5 mins every day for months now and the batteries still say full. I estimate over 40,000 pics have been taken so far this year. I'm looking really hard at their new X-8 model for a few more.

Primos cams have non efficient electronics inside... these cams vomit batteries faster than I can buy them.

Personally, the field scan feature alone is a must. We see more animals during the day from a wider area than if the animal just passed infront of the cam. But if they do... the bushnell still will take those pics in addition to the field scan. I just can't speak highly enough on how good these cams are now.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta vote for multrie
But for sure stay away from any that take D or C batteries. Stick with AA!!!
I've ran Wild Game IR4s before, they are cheep and work well for the price but your also looking 4 batteries every other week. You'll spend more in batteries in the first season than you did on the cam. Spend the extra $30 and get a AA cam. My multries last over a year on one set of batteries.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the Primos truth cams and have really liked them. Natchez had them on sale recently for 39 bucks for refurbished ones. It was a great buy in my opinion. I picked up three of them and have been running them since.

As a side note - Excellent antler development thus far for not even being July.

Latest posts

Top Bottom