Pilot locked out of cockpit prior to germanwings crash.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can't lock themselves out. At least thats what I thought. Sooooo

Unintended consequences. Post 9/11, all cockpit doors were reinforced, which made the "crew key" to the door obsolete. The protocol is for the cockpit crewmember leaving the cockpit to use the peephole and/or cabin crew to ensure no one is near the door upon exit, then the other cockpit crewmember relocks it after them. Works fine, except... something happens to the remaining pilot and there's not much that can be done.

Now you could surmise the co-pilot might've suffered a medical emergency, but that wouldn't explaing disengaging the autopilot in mid-flight. So most likely it was homicide/suicide by pilot. :(

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theyre saying on the news now that they have new info and it looks like that the co-pilot intentionally crashed the jet. Plus, I remember reading last night that the 2nd black box they recovered at the crash sight- the memory card was missing. Could he have removed it somehow? Would he have known how to even do that? The plane had just been serviced before the flight. Weird...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're changing courses and canceling all plans for a big trip some where this summer and just goin to Branson or KC or some where close like we always do. F it. Not flying, taking a train, a bus, a boat, nuttin. Driving us there myself then right back home.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The flights I've been on. I've seen one of the flight attendants enter the cockpit when one of the flight crew go to the rest room. I'm assuming this is a preventative measure to ensure one of the pilots can get back in just in case.

Yes, but more for incapacitation reasons than the flight attendant preventing the remaining pilot from locking the other pilot out. If one pilot steps out, and the remaining pilot has a heart attack, there will be someone left to open the door for the one who stepped out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom