1000 yard range at OKCGC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update

1000 Yards
The longtime dream of members of the Oklahoma City Gun Club’s High Power (HP) community has nearly
been realized. We’ve completed the dirt work expanding the Highpower range to 1000 yards. There is still
some work required before we can open the 1000yd range to shooting but we’re very close.
The expansion process started with the club putting money aside for the acquisition of our northwest 160
acres more than 30 years ago. I’m sure that in some dusty archive inhabited by brown spiders, the board
meeting minutes reflect a motion being made, seconded, discussed and approved regarding this initiative,
likely Steve Baldwin slammed the gavel, something long forgotten by multiple generations of trustees. Nev-
ertheless, by the efforts of a few club members, the board of trustees was convinced to move forward with
the project leading to the 1000yd range expansions becoming a reality.
There is plenty of information on the HP page of the OKCGC web site regarding the HP disciplines, but pre-
cious little regarding the 1000yd range. You will find updates there in the coming weeks and in the next
member guide.
I distinctly remember the first time I stood on a 1000yd line, fixing my gaze on a 44” target black representing
the 8-ring of an NRA Long Range target. My adrenaline surged at the thought of pounding out a score at my
first long range match. I shot an open sighted bolt action rifle chambered in .308win and used only a shoot-
ing jacket and sling for positional support. I still have that scorecard. This was long before people started
showing up for long range matches with mechanical rests, high-powered scopes and 20-pound rifles cham-
bered in some sexy 7mm cartridge.
The 1000yd target line at the OKGCG will be outfitted with electronic targets and steel targets. The electronic
targets show hit locations and velocity at the target by use of any “smart device”, phone or tablet. The steel
targets will include a 10”, 20” and 44” plates. Both systems will be available for the use of members for casu-
al shooting and competition practice. Obviously, there’s a training requirement to open the range and get
things safely set up if you want to shoot outside of scheduled events.
The highpower “Range Orientation”, something we have been conducting for many years, is a prerequisite to
the “1000yd Range Orientation”. The additional training is specific to the long line and includes proof or the
display of some level of competence of longer range shooting, either with a CMP or NRA high power classifi-
cation, or by ‘qualifying’ under the supervision of a HP range official. Unclassified members should be able to
‘qualify’ with less than 20 rounds – we will start out on a 600yd target and then move on to 1000 - the HP
division’s focus is safety and training. As simple as it sounds, we must make sure you understand how to put
the requisite elevation zero on your rifle, spot shots, and make corrections. Please have at least a 200yd
zero on your rifle when you show up for training.
As far as guns go, just about any highpower rifle cartridge will suffice, but remember we do have a .50BMG
club restriction and the HP range further has a .35cal maximum restriction. Other than that, we don’t allow
7.62x39 rounds past 200yds and if using a .223, you must use a bullet heavier than 63gr beyond 300yds.
These rules are clearly posted on our website and behind the 600/1000yd line.
Regarding muzzle breaks, we don’t allow them in competition, but you can use them for casual shooting, but
here’s the caveat: Muzzle breaks punish everyone around except the shooter. I have seen one exception to
this wherein a guy using a muzzle break got a piece of gravel propelled through a sweatshirt, t shirt and it
lodged under his skin. So please be aware of your surroundings, including bystanders and other shooters
when using a muzzle break, and eye protection is of course always required.
As stated above, there is still some work required to open the range to 1000yd shooting, so please be pa-
tient in these final few weeks. Until then, the HP range will remain open to 100-600yd shooting but 1000 will
be off limits. We will put together a club wide email when we’re ready for business, and the first order of busi-
ness will be scheduling several training sessions to qualify club members for range use. Just as we have
been doing for years, we intend to conduct range specific training after all scheduled events that culminate at
the 600/1000yd line - we will ensure there will be plenty of opportunities to complete these requirements. Un-
til then, get to building your best ammo, and well see you soon!
Curtis Bohlman
OKCGC Director

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a lot of rules. 🙄 more and more control. I will not be going there.
I don’t see any rules really? I just see an extra orientation on how to operate the range at nearly twice the current distance.

If you are referring to the qualification or a few regulations on maximum distance for specific cartridges… well… I would look in to the ballistic characteristics of those projectiles at those ranges. You don’t just point the muzzle at a 600 or 1000 yard target. There is work involved to get there.

A shame you would let that get in your way of the best facility in the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom