1911 22 Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1911 conversion and why?

• Colt Ace (circa 1966 condition 99%)

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Kimber (NIB)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad had a ciener kit when I was a kid. I shot the snot out of it and it worked like a champ. I have never owned a .22 kit but if I did it would be a Marvel. I have played with a couple and they feel much more solid than the rest. Best of all is that they can come from the factory with an extended and threaded barrel. That would make my decision for me.

Rob

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Advantage Arms kits lock back on last round (check out their site):

http://advantagearms.com/

Another kit to consider is the Jarvis (I heard good things about it, but it doesn't seem to be for sale on their site any longer).

AA is where my vote is at (I love my glock kit and will be getting the 1911 kit as soon as I get a non-series 80 1911).

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just placed an order for an advantage arms unit from some police supply store up north. They said it's the "LEO Issue", so I don't really know what that means, but it's the standard model. I tried ordering from their site, but it was a 6-8 week wait. I wanted one with a last round open so it would be as true to the .45 big brother as possible. My girlfriend loves the look and feel of the .45, but is affraid of it since she's never shot before. I like starting new shooters out on .22s and working up. I have an old H&R 22 revolver that looks like the Colt SAA. She's master that and wanting to move on to a semi. I had thought about buying a ruger mkii or something, but read an article about the 1911 conversions and thought that would be something fun to try. If it doesn't work out, you might see a slightly used 1911 22lr conversion in the classifieds. I'll give a range report when I get it in.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911 kits are trickier than glock kits. Since 1911s are made by several manufacturers and the specs are often not followed closely enough, there might be some tuning required.

The LEO model has the normal sights and the entire slide blows back each time. The target model has adjustable sights and only part of the slide blows back each time (like the CZ 75 / Kadet).

If you ever get tired of that 1911 and .22 kit, look me up man (it will get me closer to completing my collection - I've already got the glock/aa, the CZ 75/Kadet, and I'm looking into the beretta 92 and .22 kit).

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, Ciener makes Wilson and Kimber conversions. If you want to save money, you can purchase either from Ciener as a Close Out or Overrun. The Colt Ace uses a floating barrel, it makes the recoil more like that of a .45. I have a Ciener Kit that fits Commander & Gov't, (the difference in case you wondered, has to do with the ejector slot). It works great. No last shot open slide, but hey, it is about trigger pull, right?!? Seems like it is 15 round instead of 10 round. The colt ace magazines seem to be alot, well, nicer, better construction. The web site is www.22lrconversions.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom