1911 Kimber ultra carry problems NEED HELP!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first thing I'd do is take some emory cloth and polish up the feed ramp. That may solve all his issues. Next would be mags. Kimber used to use Chip McCormick mags and they were hit and miss. I got lucky and got two that worked. But it didn't stop me from buying 4 Wilson Combat mags either.

For some reason, the feed ramp on Kimbers can be a little rough and that will cause the problem you're describing. A little emory cloth and about ten minutes of working it solved the issue on my gun.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Ultras take a while to break in; usually around 300 rounds. It shouldn't be the feed ramp, as it is integrated with the barrel, but a little polish can't hurt.

Mine had a problem with the upcoming round catching on the slide release. Medlock's tweaked it a bit, which helped feeding problems a lot. I also went with a Wilson mag. Mine works just fine now.

Even with all that, they do not tolerate limp-wristing (as others have already mentioned).

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3" 1911's are hit and miss. In my opinion they cannot be trusted as a self defense gun. I had a 3" Kimber that would not run right. After two trips back to Kimber I got rid of it. The tech at Kimber told me "the three inch guns are not as forgiving as the five inch guns". I also tried a 3" Colt, I wasn't happy with it either.

The 3" Kimber is a little more complicated to field strip than a full size. There is no barrel bushing so you need a tool (a bent paper clip) to capture the recoil spring.

One more thing and I will shut up. If you spend that much money for a gun, it should run perfect, right out of the box.

Good Luck.:thumb:

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3" 1911's are hit and miss. In my opinion they cannot be trusted as a self defense gun. I had a 3" Kimber that would not run right. After two trips back to Kimber I got rid of it. The tech at Kimber told me "the three inch guns are not as forgiving as the five inch guns". I also tried a 3" Colt, I wasn't happy with it either.

The 3" Kimber is a little more complicated to field strip than a full size. There is no barrel bushing so you need a tool (a bent paper clip) to capture the recoil spring.

One more thing and I will shut up. If you spend that much money for a gun, it should run perfect, right out of the box.

you know after everything i have read i completely agree. Especially for the money i think there are plenty of other choices out there but then again i have also read great things about kimber so its kinda hit and miss.

Other than that i talked to him at work today and he said he has very firm grip on it so limp wristing is more than likely a non issue, pretty decently built fellow, but i have never shot with him. Either way i'll pass this along to him and tell him to try hitting the feed ramp first and then see. After that then maybe it could be the extractor not sure. He did buy it brand new from what he told me but like i said the round count is very very low. Hell i'll shoot around 300-400 rds when i make it out to the range through my carry gun. And of course not just :fullauto:, all with intent and keeping focus on what im trying to achieve every time i pull the trigger just like dry fire. But thats me, not sure about him or anybody else for that matter.

Anyways back on topic thanks for the replies everyone i'll pass this along and hopefully he can get it fixed or maybe even decide to sell and get something more reliable to put his life on.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

+1 to all of the above. I will say that I've had good luck with my Springer EMPs so far though.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1911s that are shorter than 4.25" ( Commanders) tend to be a bit finicky. I'd really recommend that your friend take it to a gunsmith that specializes in 1911 work and have it looked over. There are a few things that haven't been mentioned in the previous posts that might also be contributing to FTF issues.

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also agree that 1911 that's shorter than 4" would either be a hit or miss. I would not go with 1911 that's shorter than 4". It's not reliable to me. I would not trust a 1911 that's shorter than 4" for protection.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also agree that 1911 that's shorter than 4" would either be a hit or miss. I would not go with 1911 that's shorter than 4". It's not reliable to me. I would not trust a 1911 that's shorter than 4" for protection.

I seem to remember selling you a really nice 1911. It was a factory Colt with a 4.25" barrel and an Officer frame. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom